CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
James M Clark

Profile:
Weight gainer seems reasonable

I work at a hospital specifically in the Operating room. Mostly in spine surgeries which are very long cases (for instance 3 surgeries can take up my full 10 hour day). Breaks are rare and getting lunch is hard enough, but I've been trying to eat more and I feel like I'm coming up short due to my time at work.

In a situation like this, would a meal replacement/weight gainer be reasonable for in between meals? I'd like to eat real food, but there's just no time except for lunch and breakfast.

If so are there any out there you guys would recommend that is not full of crap/sugar?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Weight gainer seems reasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M Clark View Post
I work at a hospital specifically in the Operating room. Mostly in spine surgeries which are very long cases (for instance 3 surgeries can take up my full 10 hour day). Breaks are rare and getting lunch is hard enough, but I've been trying to eat more and I feel like I'm coming up short due to my time at work.

In a situation like this, would a meal replacement/weight gainer be reasonable for in between meals? I'd like to eat real food, but there's just no time except for lunch and breakfast.

If so are there any out there you guys would recommend that is not full of crap/sugar?
I really like Optimum's Pro Complex Gainer
Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
Zach Summers

Profile:

Just make your own. Protein powder and milk and then any or all of the following:
+bananas
+oats
+peanut butter
+berries
+almonds
+yogurt
+jello mix
+oil olive

Just google it and you'll get a million results.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
James M Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Summers View Post
Just make your own. Protein powder and milk and then any or all of the following:
+bananas
+oats
+peanut butter
+berries
+almonds
+yogurt
+jello mix
+oil olive

Just google it and you'll get a million results.
You're right. Ill make my own. Not sure why I didn't think of that
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
Dakota Base

Profile:

You already know it, but real food will be far better for you.

I'd encourage you to use caution using weight gainer shakes as meal replacers. Drinking a 2,000calorie shake in place of what should be an 800cal meal doesn't make much sense. If you DO go this route, I'd recommend starting out with 1/4, 1/3, or 1/2 of the shake volumes to limit the calorie load a bit. The bad part there, however, is that 8oz of shake may not be very filling.

You might take a run through "standard" meal replacers, like Slimfast or Ensure. There's nothing in them to make you actually lose weight, they're just thick to make you feel full, and have a fixed number of calories. For all intents and purposes, they have whey and caesin based protein so they'll be similar to weight gainers, but they'll have more nutrient value beyond just protein, and won't have the huge calorie load that gainer shakes will have. I "scoured" a bit on Ensure, Slimfast was better for me. I used them both as meal replacers on the run as well as to supplement calories into my day. Replacing meals, I'd drink 2 Slimfast, sometimes a 3rd later on if I got peckish.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
James M Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
You already know it, but real food will be far better for you.

I'd encourage you to use caution using weight gainer shakes as meal replacers. Drinking a 2,000calorie shake in place of what should be an 800cal meal doesn't make much sense. If you DO go this route, I'd recommend starting out with 1/4, 1/3, or 1/2 of the shake volumes to limit the calorie load a bit. The bad part there, however, is that 8oz of shake may not be very filling.

You might take a run through "standard" meal replacers, like Slimfast or Ensure. There's nothing in them to make you actually lose weight, they're just thick to make you feel full, and have a fixed number of calories. For all intents and purposes, they have whey and caesin based protein so they'll be similar to weight gainers, but they'll have more nutrient value beyond just protein, and won't have the huge calorie load that gainer shakes will have. I "scoured" a bit on Ensure, Slimfast was better for me. I used them both as meal replacers on the run as well as to supplement calories into my day. Replacing meals, I'd drink 2 Slimfast, sometimes a 3rd later on if I got peckish.
I went ahead and bought up your mass weight gainer because the first ingredient wasn't maltodextrin . I typically eat right after the gym but there is a delay sometimes up to an hour. I was think of doing half the serving post workout only. This would give me 300 extra calories and some carbs until I eat.
Is this a good idea if only for post workout?

Like I said I'd rather get real food in, but I wouldn't mind packing on some weight a little faster.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I make my own. I just view it as a protein shake not a weight gainer, but If I added up the calories in it i'm sure there'd be a few...

1 cup of whole milk
2 scoops ON Gold Standard whey (50g of protein)
1 banana
1 cup of Chobani yogurt (12g of protein)
1 heaping spoon of peanut butter
4-5 ice cubes.

Delicious.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
William Garrett

Profile:

My wife has a similar order in the medical field, and she is a pediatric nurse. I got her turned onto what I suggested, when food breaks arent an options on those long shifts.

10 oz Almond Milk or Milk
8 oz Blueberries or your choice of berries
1 TBSP Almond Butter
2 Scoops Whey

Optional
Oats if you like Oats
Bannana
Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Or you could do what Derek Poundstone does and blend chicken in water with spinach and drink that on your breaks. *cringe*
Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Making your own is great and all unless you don't have access to a blender or a fridge. There are some quality gainers out there that aren't just full of sugar and those work great when all you have is a shaker bottle and water fountain.