CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Chris Richardson

Profile:
Re: Diet over fitness advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Is this why the Chinese are so weak?
I think so, i think so! lol
Old 01-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
Chris Richardson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
tell him "you spend 23 hours outside the gym and 1 hour in the gym per day."

I would also ask him how his sleep and stress are. Good luck, sometimes people just have to decide on their own.

I know he has been stressed but I am unsure about sleep...I'll look in to that one. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

At 5'10" and 165lbs he should have free reign to eat pretty much whatever he can get his hands on. Critiquing his calorie sources will not help him gain weight.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
Matt Thomas

Profile:

In all seriousness this time I concur. 5'10" 165? Eat chinese food, go home, eat more food, repeat.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
Clint Harris

Profile:

Chris,
Perhaps your arguments aren't compelling enough to him. He may need more detail than simply "eat clean" or the like. He may also one who wants the fish, not learn how to fish, so you may have to change the way you approach this. The old adage that not everyone learns the same - tell 3 people the same thing and they'll all hear 3 different things etc.
The only way you'll convince him is through proving it right ? So find out what motivates him. Maybe it's money.

If you have a diet plan for him to follow. Make him one for a few weeks. Make it easy - spell it out. Shopping list and meal plan. Bet him $$ that if he follows this, he'll get the results he wants. Make it a discreet time period too - like 30 days. Something that isn't too long but long enough to see some change.
You'll both have something on the line. You pay him if he follows your plan and it doesn't work. He pays you when he fails to follow the plan.

And like others have said. He's a pipsqueak. Probably thinks you're all nonsense because he eats whatever he wants and is still skinny. Sure, he eats whatever he wants but is a pipsqueak.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 01-29-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #16
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Wow, 5'10 @165lbs.

1) he needs to eat. lots.

2) why do you care what he eats? if he wants to eat junk food let him, its his choice. i hardly think that chinese food is junk though. now if he goes to mcdonalds and orders 2 mcgangbangs (yes they are real, yes they are good, look them up) and a large dr pepper, THEN be like, "dude, what the french" in a joking way.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #17
Zach Summers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Wow, 5'10 @165lbs.

1) he needs to eat. lots.

2) why do you care what he eats? if he wants to eat junk food let him, its his choice. i hardly think that chinese food is junk though. now if he goes to mcdonalds and orders 2 mcgangbangs (yes they are real, yes they are good, look them up) and a large dr pepper, THEN be like, "dude, what the french" in a joking way.
The McGangbang... the best thing to happen to fast food since the Double Down!

I have a women coworker that leans on me for advice and support on her work outs and dieting. She came in the other morning and told me she ran on the tread mill and it said she burned almost 700 calories. This is huge for her. So of course I made a big deal about it and talked her up big time.

Lunch rolls around and our job was providing a luncheon. She went crazy on the queso dip and cake. All I said was, "You just ate more calories in 5 minutes, then you worked off in an hour yesterday."

TL;DR Correlate that it takes hours to burn calories, minutes to eat them.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #18
Chris Richardson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Summers View Post
The McGangbang... the best thing to happen to fast food since the Double Down!

I have a women coworker that leans on me for advice and support on her work outs and dieting. She came in the other morning and told me she ran on the tread mill and it said she burned almost 700 calories. This is huge for her. So of course I made a big deal about it and talked her up big time.

Lunch rolls around and our job was providing a luncheon. She went crazy on the queso dip and cake. All I said was, "You just ate more calories in 5 minutes, then you worked off in an hour yesterday."

TL;DR Correlate that it takes hours to burn calories, minutes to eat them.

Seeing those words outside of College Station makes me giggle...

Anyway - Chinese food was what he had that evening. He also regularly eats whataburger (a Texas hamburger chain) and taco bell.

He may not weigh a lot but, his main goal is removing his "beer-belly". Eating the way he does regardless of his exercise will not allow his goal to come to fruition. His muscle mass is very low and wants to lose the fat before adding muscle.

I think I'm going to create a burpee for calorie comparison for him. http://blog.spartanrace.com/burpee-e...ing-junk-food/ (WFS)

Maybe showing him the amount of burpees required to burn off the crap he eats will have an effect.