CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Luke Conner

Profile:
Snatch Form

http://www.coachseye.com/Akpn

I didn't make this snatch, and when I slow down the end of the video I think it's because I ride it down to low after catching it and it causes my arms to bend.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: Snatch Form

there is no such thing as too low, be more aggressive in stopping the bar.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Not too low. It actually looks like great depth and reception. You need patience and stability in that OHS position. It feels like you're a waving flag pole when you catch the bar. Stabilize it for one full, patient second, pausing at the bottom. Then stand up.

When I slow it down to see freeze frames, your triple extension is great! Hips are open, shoulders shrugged behind bar - very nice. I see that your feet move backwards and CLOSER together. They should be moving further APART.

Check out the second photo on this blog page:
http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2012...tch-your-step/ (wfs)

Somebody chalked their feet in the starting position and receiving position. If your feet are a little further apart to receive, you'll be more stable, and you can support that OHS better.

Keep up the good work!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
Luke Conner

Profile:

That's good advice, thanks. I did catch that weight after this, but this was the one that got recorded. This was actually a PR for me, 185lbs.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Mitch Medeiros

Profile:

To expand on the foot positioning, I'd say you started a bit wide. Even for an OHS, it's a little wide.

Textbook form would be to have your feet start under your hips (pulling stance as it's often referred to) then "jump" out slightly to under your shoulders (squatting stance). As is the case with rules, they can be broken.

Some very successful lifters don't follow this it. Donny Shankle being a good example of starting in a wide stance.

I'd recommend starting a bit more narrow, but to each their own.

Also, be committed from the get go. There was a decent bit of hesitation at the beginning, or so it seemed. Make sure you're fully committed to the lift, especially when it gets heavy. Tell yourself you'll land it and you may be surprised.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Feet. You start wide and jump the feet in and back. Not good unless you bring the weight back with you. Pull looks pretty good. I would bring the feet in a little more on the start and work on your receiving position.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
Luke Conner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Medeiros View Post
To expand on the foot positioning, I'd say you started a bit wide. Even for an OHS, it's a little wide.

Textbook form would be to have your feet start under your hips (pulling stance as it's often referred to) then "jump" out slightly to under your shoulders (squatting stance). As is the case with rules, they can be broken.

Some very successful lifters don't follow this it. Donny Shankle being a good example of starting in a wide stance.

I'd recommend starting a bit more narrow, but to each their own.

Also, be committed from the get go. There was a decent bit of hesitation at the beginning, or so it seemed. Make sure you're fully committed to the lift, especially when it gets heavy. Tell yourself you'll land it and you may be surprised.
The long pause at the beginning was because someone was carrying a baby and walked right towards me just as I was about to lift, so I had to and reset once they walked away.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

What I saw.

1) Someone messes you up like that, step back and start over.

2) You dropped your chest on your first pull, the infamous stripper butt. This got you out of position for the rest of the snatch, though this must be light for you because you recovered from that eventually.

3) You started your second pull early. To me it looks like the bar is under your knees still when you start opening your hips, this got the bar out in front of you.

4) You actually recovered well and still got the bar to brush your hips as you started the third pull
Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:
Red face Re: Snatch Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
What I saw.

1) Someone messes you up like that, step back and start over.

2) You dropped your chest on your first pull, the infamous stripper butt. This got you out of position for the rest of the snatch, though this must be light for you because you recovered from that eventually.

3) You started your second pull early. To me it looks like the bar is under your knees still when you start opening your hips, this got the bar out in front of you.

4) You actually recovered well and still got the bar to brush your hips as you started the third pull
His pull is fine. His footwork needs improvement. If anything I'd say he could start with hips a little higher to prevent his "stripper butt".
Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

If you say so, I'm pretty sure there was some space between him and the bar on the way up caused by his first pull and opening the hips early...Hard to tell from that angle