CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
Christopher Barron

Profile:
Hi all,

I'm totally new at CF. A friend of mine in the navy told me about CF. Needless to say, I've been trying out some of the workouts and watching a lot of the "how to" video's.

But I do need some help. The problem being I'm pretty over weight and I have a hard time doing a lot of the exercises. Currently I'm at 318 lbs. Since November I've been on a doctor monitored weight loss management program called Optifast and have only managed to loose 25 lbs. I'm still looking to loose another 75 to 100 lbs total.

My question is this... are there any certain exercises I can do to help me loose some weight at a constant rate, be it in cardio or weight lifting workouts? Are they any good workouts I can do to help me flatten out my chest/stomach area?

I apologize with all the questions, but I'm relatively new to working out in general and have decided that its time to take a serious hold on my life and health and I really want to loose the pounds, get in shape, and get healthier.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
Keep at it. While I'm new to Crossfit I've been training my entire adult life. Use the Crossfit Beginners program if the Crossfit methodology seems a good fit for you. The basics emphasized in the program will do you a world of good. What is prescribed in the Beginner's program is simple, basic and solid. It is a great program for those new to strength and conditioning.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2006..._03_cfj_1.html

Also read the free Crossfit Journal "What is fitness" Particularly pay attention to the part about diet. When you transition out of the doctor supervised program you will need this information. Check out the Zone Diet and the Paleodiet. Both are good. Bottom line is to not eat too much and don't eat junk.

Don't worry about specific exercises to target problems areas. Learning how your body works as a whole is crucial for you now.

In using the Crossfit Beginner's program it would benefit you to get some basic instruction in the simple lifts prescribed. Walk,walk, walk and stay active with sport as much as possible in addition to CF. Find an activity that you've always wanted to do and start doing it-martial arts, hiking, cycling, basketball, paddling etc....
Stay consistent, read, learn and don't quit. Fitness is a process that lasts a lifetime. If you want optimum health and fitness it can be yours. How badly you want it is a question only you can answer.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Jason McCain

Profile:
Chris,

My web-site is for people just like you. Check it out and provide feedback.

Thanks.

www.crossfitfoundations.typepad.com