CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Rory McKee

Profile:
"Juice" Cleanse

Hi Everyone
This is my first post on the nutrtion forum. I watched a documentary on netflix the other day - "fat sick and nearly dead." And they talked about natural cleanses with juicing fruits and vegetables. So I think fruits, veggies, and whole foods its gotta be legit.

I had searched for juice cleanse and there were a few threads on it that were very old. I was just wondering what your thoughts were.

Is cleansing needed? or even a good thing? If I did it it would not be juicing so to say- I'd be using a ninja blender making more of a smoothie so I'd still be getting the fiber.

Thanks for your time!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: "Juice" Cleanse

I don't see anything wrong with having a smoothie of fruit/vegetables as a snack or something, but the idea of a "juice cleanse" is just silly in my opinoin.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Jason Newland

Profile:

I've seen that same video (about a year ago), and it did make me want to start drinking more juice too. I ended up getting a juicer and drinking about 20 oz. with my normal breakfast, vs going all in with 100% juice all the time.

Any way to get more green veggies into your diet is generally a good thing.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Amanda Rappuhn

Profile:

I have done many juice cleanses, but I would recommend a smoothie cleanse over a juice cleanse.

Most juicers take out the fiber in the fruit/veg where smoothies you're getting everything, just blended up.
If you're going to be doing crossfit and be active I definitely would never say do a juice cleanse. It doesn't have enough nutritional value to heal your body after workouts and what not. They also pack a lot of natural sugar.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Chad Ashton

Profile:

I think that a juice cleanse or fast has it's merits for sure. But I also don't know that I'd do that and CF at the same time. You could always try a short term fast, like a week, but the bad thing is, you will feel pretty crappy that first week and not be on the fast long enough to see the up swing.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
Rory McKee

Profile:

Thanks for all the input/advice you guys are great!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Joseph Regan

Profile:

Watch out for the smoothie cleanses as they are usually loaded with sugar.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Enrico Chacon

Profile:

My nephew watched the documentary and became so inspired he lost 140lbs! he even got to meet Joe Cross (the producer) and might be shown in the next documentary. Before I started Crossfit I added a morning fruit and veggie smoothie and was going to the bathroom alot. My boy felt good after a week of doing this and started to eat healthier afterwards.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:

You should try a green supplement instead of juicing. They are packed with way more nutrtients than a standard juice/smoothie. Pick one that is vegan , organic, and raw, like Active Greens or anything from Garden of Life.
Though I don't always have a green supp. on hand( I'm touch and go with money), I have had Active Greens before. It tastes great and after about a week I did feel less tired and slugish. I noticed my skin cleared up, my hair took on a healthy "glow", and yes, it improved circulation everywhere
Old 10-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Brian Strump

Profile:

You can do "juicing", but watch for the sugar. You want 80-90% of that to be vegetables.

Also watch for beets and carrots due to the higher sugar content in them.