CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Shane Atkinson

Profile:
Applying The Paleo Diet for Athletes

The overall reason for this post is to get some opinions and/or confirmation of wheter I am on the right track of applying the The Paleo Diet for Athletes: The Ancient Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance. I have read the book from cover to cover and have read Robb Wolf's book, The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet. I have lost 15lbs over the past 90 days following the Paleo diet up to this point so I feel I have a decent grasp of the simplicity of the basic Paleo diet. However, I am beginning to increase the intensity of my workouts and feel I am not eating enough and feel my recovery is not improving.

Here are my stats:

31 yr old Male
72", 180lbs @ about 17% BF
BMR estimated at 1897 without exercise and about 2931 with moderate activity
Current calorie intake is around 3000 per day (looking to increase to 3500 once I tighten the below diet outline)

Goal: Slow mass gain and increased recovery

Currently run TT, SI, and LI type runs 3x a week in the early am. Strength train 5/3/1/ with short METCONs 4x a week averaging 60 mins.

Here is what I am thinking after dissecting the book and looking at the application of it all.

Normal routine (On Run days):
0400-0500: Wake-Up (Stage 1)
0600: Run WOD
0700: Breakfast (Stage 4)
1100: Lunch (Stage 5)
1400: Strength WOD and METCON
1500: Post WOD Shake (Stage 3)
1600: Post WOD Meal (Stage 4)
1800: Dinner (Stage 5)
2100: Bedtime Snack (Stage 5)

Run Days:
Stage 1 (Wake-Up):
Applesauce mixed with whey and a cup of coffee or a Banana, scoop of whey, and a cup of coffee

Stage 2 (Only applied on runs beyond 60mins):
Gu Gel

Stage 3:
Post WOD Shake: 1 Scoop Whey and 1 Scoop Casein mixed in Coconut water

Stage 4:
Dried fruits or potatoes with protein (4:1 ratio)
Hard Boiled eggs w/ raisins or a can of tuna and veggies
Breakfast: 4 eggs, sausage or bacon, dried cranberries

Stage 5:
Meat, vegetables, nuts, and fruit
This is my enjoy a paleo meal stage

Note: This list is not exhaustive, just a snapshot to get head nods if I am grasping the information provided correctly and to identify my weak areas.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Applying The Paleo Diet for Athletes

Everything looks good. Post workout in the afternoon, I'd have 1-2 bananas.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
Chad Ashton

Profile:

For what it's worth, I've found real food works better for me than the gels. I tried making rice cakes and on bike rides that are 40+ miles, they definitely work a lot better than the gels. You get quick energy plus more sustained energy all in one tasty little morsel.

This is one example of what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bslh-cJnGzs (wfs)

or just search for Allen Lim on youtube or check out Feed Zone Portables (wfs). They are quite popular with cyclist cause they work and stow away easily in a jersey pocket.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Everything looks good. Post workout in the afternoon, I'd have 1-2 bananas.
The reason I do not have them in there is because I receive about the same macros from the coconut water which is 60 cals, 15g Carbs, 15g Sugars where a banana is 90 cals 23g Carbs, and 12g of sugars.

I thought a whole food would be better here but I like the quick easiness of having the shake in my bag and grabbing the whole food 60-90mins later. However I think I can and will look into just throwing a banana in my gym bag if my Carb macros are not measuring out to where I need them.

Thank you for the advice and getting me to think about this some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ashton View Post
For what it's worth, I've found real food works better for me than the gels. I tried making rice cakes and on bike rides that are 40+ miles, they definitely work a lot better than the gels. You get quick energy plus more sustained energy all in one tasty little morsel.

This is one example of what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bslh-cJnGzs (wfs)

or just search for Allen Lim on youtube or check out Feed Zone Portables (wfs). They are quite popular with cyclist cause they work and stow away easily in a jersey pocket.
Awesome links and thank you. I will dig into this here over the next few days. I have always liked the idea of getting away from gels. Does any of the above include caffeine?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Chad Ashton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Atkinson View Post
Awesome links and thank you. I will dig into this here over the next few days. I have always liked the idea of getting away from gels. Does any of the above include caffeine?
I've not seen any but I don't see why you couldn't add some or just pop a no-doze before running. The rice cakes are awesome too because you can make a big batch and wrap them up then freeze them. There's other things too other than just rice cakes, in the book that is. I'll flip through it and post a few recipes that look good and maybe you can decide if you want to invest in the book or not. I think it's pretty good stuff.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ashton View Post
I've not seen any but I don't see why you couldn't add some or just pop a no-doze before running. The rice cakes are awesome too because you can make a big batch and wrap them up then freeze them. There's other things too other than just rice cakes, in the book that is. I'll flip through it and post a few recipes that look good and maybe you can decide if you want to invest in the book or not. I think it's pretty good stuff.
I dont want to de-rail this thread for the OP, but Chad how do the rice cakes and others from this book hold up to being kept in a sweaty jersey pocket for an hour or two? Its easy for the pros, their food is made fresh each morning and then kept in a cooler in the team car until its handed to them during the race. But for the rest of us, we have to make something that can ride(and get hot) with us for an hour or more before being eaten.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Chad Ashton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
I dont want to de-rail this thread for the OP, but Chad how do the rice cakes and others from this book hold up to being kept in a sweaty jersey pocket for an hour or two? Its easy for the pros, their food is made fresh each morning and then kept in a cooler in the team car until its handed to them during the race. But for the rest of us, we have to make something that can ride(and get hot) with us for an hour or more before being eaten.
They get warm of course but hold up well. Wrap them in freezer paper and toss them in a pocket. I haven't tried yet, but I'd venture to guess if you put it in the pocket frozen it would be just right when it was time to eat. I may try that next time I ride.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Chad Ashton

Profile:

I've made this, it's pretty good:

Cinnamon Apple Rice Cake (scale to your needs. I personally make with 1 cup rice)

3c uncooked sticky (sushi) rice
4.5c water
1 apple peeled and minced
2tbsp raw sugar
juice on 1 lemon

Top with
2tbsp raw sugar
2tsp cinnamon
1tsp sea salt

Cook rice. Remove to large bowl and add apple, sugar, and lemon juice. Once mixed, spread mixture out on 9x12 baking pan and top with sugar, cinn, and salt. Let set up and cut into squares.

When I make this, I use brown sugar and I just mix everything rather than sprinkling anything on top. Tastes pretty good and works well on the bike.

Another I made recently:

Coconut Chocolate Rice Cake

1c uncooked sushi rice
2c coconut milk
1/2c water or coconut water
1c coconut flakes. I did 50/50 sweetened and unsweetened
1c Dark chocolate chips, I used 60%

Make the rice using coconut milk instead of water. Once rice is done, transfer to bowl, add coconut flakes. Allow to cool and mix in chocolate chips. Spread out in pan and cut into squares or what I did and it worked pretty well, spoon mixture into a muffin tin for perfect size rounds.

Really, the awesome thing is, once you make the rice, the flavors are limited by your imagination. Make some rice and just add things to your heart's desire. My next one will be some sort of banana walnut cake.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Chris Jones

Profile:

those sound good Chad, and the banana walnut whatever you make cant possibly be bad. What size squares should these be when you cut them, and how many of them would you eat for fueling, say one square an hour for a faster ride of 2-3 hours?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
Chad Ashton

Profile:

I cut them into about a 2.5" square. Not sure how big they are supposed to be. I generally need two for a 3+ hour 50+ mile ride but taking more certainly wouldn't hurt. I guess the rule of thumb is about 100 cal. per hour for rides over 2 hours or something like that. I have no idea the calories per square, I'm sure it could be figured out fairly easily, I just haven't taken the time. I just make sure to eat one before I start to bonk. They are pretty fast acting but not as quick as a gel, which really don't work well for me anyways so I wouldn't use them in an emergency.