CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Brett Dartt

Profile:
right quad-squats.

ok what the hell? last sunday i was doing 5x3 squats and in my 4th set i got this weird pain in my qaud at the bottom of one of my squats. well i had to stop. havent given it a second thought all week. flash to today i havent done squats since 5 days ago and i decided to do the 135# squat challenge and when i got to three at the bottom of the squat it came back. i dont get it. feels like its pulled to tight at the bottom of the squat. gives a little trouble getting started on the way up but once im going its no biggy. hurts worst right when i hit the bottom. it IS debilitating. wtf?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
John Fragoso

Profile:
Re: right quad-squats.

Brett,
Free up your quads via foam rolling/ massage/ Active release techniques. Sounds like you're quads are bound up and not allowing for full range of motion at the bottom position. I treat this all the time. If this is the case, results should be instantaneous. If you do have any knots/scar tissue in the quads, you can rest for weeks and pain will come back as soon as you do any quadcentric loading. Need to change the structure of the muscle so it can glide/move properly.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Bryan Gates

Profile:
Re: right quad-squats.

It would surprise me if it extends to the hip flexors as well, specifically the TFL. It could also be the psoa.

Do you have a vid of you squating heavy? The pain you describe sounds uncannily like the pain caused from not pushing out the knees enough.

You can check if its the hip flexors by doing a resisted knee raise. You can see if it is the psoa specifically by starting with the knee raised to 90 degrees and then trying to force it higher.