CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Brett Zimmerman

Profile:
Back only hurts in the morning.

I've gone through a lot of old posts on back injuries and found some helpful information. Last week I did a lot of heavy lifting on Tuesday, not in workout form, just life. By the end of the day I was getting tired and I know I was lifting poorly (putting my back at risk to save my legs). My back was tight and sore that night but fine for WODs the rest of the week (Wed-Fri). I took the weekend off and did Barbara on Monday. Partway through, I could feel a real tightness in the middle of my back. The pull-ups were challenging and I felt like I was flailing a bit on the kipping pull-ups. After I finished, my back felt really tight and achy, again not really lower back but pretty much right in the middle. It felt the same all night, and when I would bend over it would get sharper. When I woke up yesterday morning I tried to stretch it and it tightened up really sharply for about 5 seconds. For about an hour in the morning I was tip-toeing around it but by mid-day I felt totally normal. It's the same this morning. It feels very tight, some sharp pain when I wake up and stretch but it feels good to go by late morning. I was taking yesterday and today off but was wondering if anyone else has had this type of soreness and how long it took to go away. Thanks for any advice! I haven't had back trouble before so I'm really hesitant to do anything to **** it off. But, I'm ready to workout again as soon as I can.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Back only hurts in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Zimmerman View Post
I've gone through a lot of old posts on back injuries and found some helpful information. Last week I did a lot of heavy lifting on Tuesday, not in workout form, just life. By the end of the day I was getting tired and I know I was lifting poorly (putting my back at risk to save my legs). My back was tight and sore that night but fine for WODs the rest of the week (Wed-Fri). I took the weekend off and did Barbara on Monday. Partway through, I could feel a real tightness in the middle of my back. The pull-ups were challenging and I felt like I was flailing a bit on the kipping pull-ups. After I finished, my back felt really tight and achy, again not really lower back but pretty much right in the middle. It felt the same all night, and when I would bend over it would get sharper. When I woke up yesterday morning I tried to stretch it and it tightened up really sharply for about 5 seconds. For about an hour in the morning I was tip-toeing around it but by mid-day I felt totally normal. It's the same this morning. It feels very tight, some sharp pain when I wake up and stretch but it feels good to go by late morning. I was taking yesterday and today off but was wondering if anyone else has had this type of soreness and how long it took to go away. Thanks for any advice! I haven't had back trouble before so I'm really hesitant to do anything to **** it off. But, I'm ready to workout again as soon as I can.

Deep tissue massage, how old is your mattress and have you consider changing pillows?! Most people have the wrong pillow. Google Buckwheat Hull pillows or correct angel sleeping pillows.

Just a few thoughts, but as you train harder, little things add up.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Brett Zimmerman

Profile:

Thanks for your input. I tried sleeping on the couch to see if the firmer surface would help. It didn't seem to change much. But I didn't workout at all last week and the pain slowly diminished each morning. It still cramped up a little today (a week later) but was much improved. I did a workout yesterday and it felt okay. I will definitely make the investment in better pillows, maybe a better mattress when I can afford it.

I also think it's related to seriously tight hamstrings. I can only touch my toes on a good day so I'm going to invest some time into developing a better stretching routine. I'm usually hyped up for the WOD and fly through a cruddy warm-up to get to it. Not anymore.

Thanks and happy holidays!

- Brett
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Its a trigger point. Use a tennis ball on the spot that cramped up.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...=trigger+point
Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Scott Ponte

Profile:

Try sleeping with a pillow under your feet/knees. It supposedly aids in back tension.