CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
Ripping up throat on cleans

The bars at the gym have some nice center knurling; great for back squats, not so much for clean and jerks. (Actually, the back of my neck got roughish just from squatting a while ago).

About half the people I run across ask me what happened to my neck. I guess this wouldn't be such a big issue, but I don't look forward to getting myself bloody 2 minutes into a workout.

I read that taping up the bar is bad for the plating. I guess any suggestions (especially technique-wise) would be welcome.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Ripping up throat on cleans

The bar is supposed to rest on your traps.. so your neck isn't really taking the brunt of it. I'm not exactly sure (maybe someone will chime in) on if you're supposed to squeeze the scapulae together during squats. That would indeed help keep the back straight as well as allowing the traps to be pushed back as a shelf for the bar. Plus, when you're holding the bar that should probably happen anyway.. at least it does for me.

Not sure why you made the topic on cleans though unless you really are ripping up your throat on them. In which case you're catching in the wrong place..
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

If the bar has teeth in the center - it'll tear up your throat/clavicles. I'd tape up the bar rather than scar up my neck/clavicles every day.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

well, yesterday I did get bloody 2 minutes into the workout, and I didn't find anything in the archives, other than a really expensive Chinese (Zhanko was it?) bar getting messed up by tape.

I guess taping and untaping a bar I don't own won't really be so bad.

Would a more aggressive catch, pull, elbow flip, or something else make it better?
Thanks for the responses Stephen and Veronica.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
well, yesterday I did get bloody 2 minutes into the workout, and I didn't find anything in the archives, other than a really expensive Chinese (Zhanko was it?) bar getting messed up by tape.

I guess taping and untaping a bar I don't own won't really be so bad.

Would a more aggressive catch, pull, elbow flip, or something else make it better?
Thanks for the responses Stephen and Veronica.
I'm not the one to tell you about form/technique, but instead of tape maybe you could use something without adhesive, like an ace bandage. On the bar or your neck, your pick.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Instead of taping a bar -- that you don't own -- how about applying lots of chalk to it? That way you avoid the event that residual glue is stuck to the bar when you attempt to remove the tape? I think using chalk is a non-issue in most gyms, whereas using tape on equipment might be met with frowns (or worse).
Old 10-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

As Rip says, excessive knurling can be solved by a file and an hours' work. Tell the gym owners you do OLY lifting and their bar is tearing up your body (and probably others). If they won't solve the problem, offer to do it for them (center knurling shouldn't take too long). A greater problem will be getting proper spin out of a cheap Chinese bar.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Steve York

Profile:

As Steven pointed out, I'm not sure why your neck got scratched up other than maybe you are resting the bar too high? As you set up for the squat moving your hands closer to your shoulders will bring your scapulas closer together, thus pushing your chest up for a better set up.

As for cleans, expanding your chest on the catch will allow a nice shelf of the upper fibres of pec major across the sternoclavicular joint and this area is normally covered by a t-shirt.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
John Alston

Profile:

Your neck shouldn't get ripped on a clean done with good form. If you're rubbing the bar across your throat, it's a bad clean.
Unless you have an unusually thick throat, good cleans won't do much damage to your neck.
Work on your rack position, maybe with front squats, maybe. Or maybe it's your catch. Perfect practice makes perfect.
They way you describe the bar/throat contact makes me think you'd be passing out on front squats.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
They way you describe the bar/throat contact makes me think you'd be passing out on front squats.

John

Best of luck this weekend, I'll be in DC, maybe catch you guys in Pittsburgh in January, if you come up.

Stand up, jump down