CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: "Juice" Cleanse

The power of "juice mania"

http://youtu.be/fSnvvMvL4gA (WFS)
Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McKee View Post
Hi Everyone
This is my first post on the nutrtion forum. I watched a documentary on netflix the other day - "fat sick and nearly dead." And they talked about natural cleanses with juicing fruits and vegetables. So I think fruits, veggies, and whole foods its gotta be legit.

I had searched for juice cleanse and there were a few threads on it that were very old. I was just wondering what your thoughts were.

Is cleansing needed? or even a good thing? If I did it it would not be juicing so to say- I'd be using a ninja blender making more of a smoothie so I'd still be getting the fiber.

Thanks for your time!
Do you have functioning kidneys, liver and intestines? If so, why would you need to "cleanse" anything when those organs do it for you?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #13
Rory McKee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Donalds Do you have functioning kidneys, liver and intestines? If so, why would you need to "cleanse" anything when those organs do it for you?
Just a reset getting a clean start giving those organs a rest from working so hard to get the toxins out- Or is just starting eating good healthy whole foods good enough that cleanses arent needed? I don't know- Im here to learn and get all your input

And thank you for all the warnings of sugar - does it not matter even though its natural glucose plant type and natural fructose- sugar is sugar?

John - I do have a greens supplement so ill start being more faithful to taking that. I think Ive only taken it twice
Old 10-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
Jeff Enge

Profile:

The question is - exactly what are these "toxins" that juiced fruits and veggies don't have that everything else does? And/or what does drinking these things do to get rid of them? That concept doesn't particularly make sense to me.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McKee View Post
Just a reset getting a clean start giving those organs a rest from working so hard to get the toxins out- Or is just starting eating good healthy whole foods good enough that cleanses arent needed? I don't know- Im here to learn and get all your input
My point was your body is more than capable of "cleansing" itself without any external influence. I'd only start worrying about something like that if you suddenly become unable to pee, poop or sweat.

I'd venture to say that 99.9% of all this marketed cleansing stuff is nothing but a steaming pile for lazy people seeking a panacea.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
Derek McLaughlin

Profile:

One possible benefit I could see from a short juice cleanse is the relief on your digestive system...similar to fasting. Not saying that it absolutely needs a break (I honestly have no idea), but instead of consuming a lot of protein and having your GI system constantly working to get it passed, it gets to take a little breather.

Again, not trained in any of this, just something that popped into my head while reading through this thread.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Mark Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donalds View Post
My point was your body is more than capable of "cleansing" itself without any external influence. I'd only start worrying about something like that if you suddenly become unable to pee, poop or sweat.

I'd venture to say that 99.9% of all this marketed cleansing stuff is nothing but a steaming pile for lazy people seeking a panacea.
I agree with this. Any time I hear the word "cleanse" with respect to diet, I immediately think BS.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Chad Ashton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McLaughlin View Post
One possible benefit I could see from a short juice cleanse is the relief on your digestive system...similar to fasting. Not saying that it absolutely needs a break (I honestly have no idea), but instead of consuming a lot of protein and having your GI system constantly working to get it passed, it gets to take a little breather.

Again, not trained in any of this, just something that popped into my head while reading through this thread.
That is one of the major points. It gives the digestion system a break allowing the organs to better rid themselves of stuff that they otherwise don't have time to rid. Whether it's true or not, there's tons of reviews on how well people feel after a water/juice fast.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Derek McLaughlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ashton View Post
That is one of the major points. It gives the digestion system a break allowing the organs to better rid themselves of stuff that they otherwise don't have time to rid. Whether it's true or not, there's tons of reviews on how well people feel after a water/juice fast.
Makes sense. And by drinking juices, you're still getting a plethora of micronutrients, while giving the digestive system said break.

So that being said, I don't see anything wrong with doing short cleanses from time to time. But I also wouldn't train hard (or at all) during the time, and allow the body the opportunity to truly recover.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #20
Frank Fusco

Profile:

So, not trying to be snarky, but is there any evidence that the digestive system needs "a break"?

Do people regularly hold their breath to give their respiratory system a break. Do they stop drinking water to give their urinary system a break? How about blood letting to give your circulatory system a break?

On the other hand, giving your muscular system a break (i.e., adequate recovery from intense exercise) is a good idea.

If you are eating junk food, then a cleanse will make you feel good because you've stopped taking in cr*p. But as Mike notes above, if you have normally functioning organs, I don't see why it would be necessary.