CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Ross Buchanan

Profile:
Re: So hows my diet look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
If you are trying to drop bodyfat, you have to drop some calories.
lol I guess main issue there is do I want to be beautiful and not be able to have bedroom gymnastics because my abs hurt so bad and arent recovering or do I want to lie there like a blob because I'm fat and cant perform hahahahahaha
Old 10-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Ross Buchanan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
What you are doing is not 5/3/1. If you want to do the program, do youself a favor and follow it as written.
well out of his 3 or 4 books theres numerous ways to do his programing. what I do is not set in stone. are you referring to the excessive amount of volume with assistance lifts?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Buchanan View Post
well out of his 3 or 4 books theres numerous ways to do his programing. what I do is not set in stone. are you referring to the excessive amount of volume with assistance lifts?
There are many ways.

4 sets of 5 and 2 sets of 12 isn't one of them as far as I know. Even "boring but big" doesn't look like that.

Strict pullups, dips and ring pushups aren't "assistance lifts" the way you are doing them. If you can do 50+ of any of them, you should be doing the dips and pullups weighted and working a linear progression on them too.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
Ross Buchanan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
There are many ways.

4 sets of 5 and 2 sets of 12 isn't one of them as far as I know. Even "boring but big" doesn't look like that.

Strict pullups, dips and ring pushups aren't "assistance lifts" the way you are doing them. If you can do 50+ of any of them, you should be doing the dips and pullups weighted and working a linear progression on them too.
looks like I'll be reading 5/3/1 a couple more times.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
Jeff Enge

Profile:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=72783 wfs

This is how you do main lifts on 5/3/1. Warmup however you need, then three sets at ascending percentages with the last set max reps at the prescribed weight. The point is to not deviate from that. Where the "numerous ways of programming" come in is the assistance work. For instance, "Boring but Big" is 5x10 of that big lift at a prescribed percentage after your max rep set. Probably wouldn't do too much extra assistance after that.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Ross Buchanan

Profile:

I'm reading and quoting straight from the book. The second addition.

Under assistance work #5 - bodyweight

"I recommend no less than 75 reps per exercise for each workout. the advantage to this is its very easy on the body and joints. the disadvantage to this is its hard to load these exercises so the only way to get stronger is with more reps or sets - not more weight."

He gives examples of chins, pushups, dips, lunges, etc... suggests reps upward of 50 for weighted dips and 100 for body weight. Also mentions doing chins upward of 100.

As far as progression my 4 sets of 5 or 3 are percentages that slowly lead up to my end weight if thats what youre talking about. In boring but big he uses bench for 5 sets of 10 as an assistance lift. I do 2 sets in ranges of 8-12 reps I'm not going to stop at ten when I can do a few more just because it says ten. Also I do 2 sets instead of 5 sets so I have something left over to do other assistance work.

Also in assistance work he mentions rep ranges between 10-15 and even mentions doing kroc rows with reps upwards of 20 - 40 reps each set.

Now I'm sure if you read another book it will say something completely different and I'm not trying to be rude in saying this but I think I'm definitely doing 5/3/1. Or so i thought

This book isnt my bible but rather a template for something to base my training and programing off of but after reading tonight just to make sure I wasnt missing something or the big picture, I think I'm kinda on the right track.

If you dont agree or see or think differently I'm all eyes and ears. The whole point of posting here is to become the best strongest version of myself so I'm more than open to constructive criticism.

Last edited by Ross Buchanan; 10-18-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Old 10-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
Ross Buchanan

Profile:

Are you suggesting or advising I'm doing too much assistance?
Old 10-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #18
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Honestly, the fact you are skipping the max reps sets to have more left for assistance tells me you do not understand the program enough to make wholesale changes to it.

However, this has nothing to do with nutrition, and frankly you can do whatever you want. Im just calling it like I see it.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Ross, I would follow the Periodization Bible or Simple Strength Assistance Options. The link below has it all set up for you. As long as you follow it as prescribed, you will be ok.

http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator (WFS)