CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
Ross Buchanan

Profile:
So hows my diet look?

wake up, take an hour long walk or 20 minute row on an empty stomach,
afterwards i instantly drink a one scoop protein drink, make a piece of quarter inch thick cut bacon, leave the grease in the pan and make 4 or 5 eggs. salt and pepper. followed by a banana and packet of crap oatmeal.

lunch 6-8oz of chicken or steak, plentiful serving of dark green vegetables and one cup of brown rice or whole grain pasta or sweet potato.

an hour later I lift heavy for about an hour and fifteen minutes. slam another scoop of protein powder. and eat a chobani yogurt.

for dinner I eat a large portion around 10-12 ounces of fish may it be salmon or tilapia and a hefty portion of vegetables. no carbs before bed.

I'm 5'10" 220 pounds. I'm gaining muscle and strength and my body fat is melting off. before when I did strictly paleo i wasnt recovering from any workouts and I just continued to get smaller.I'm still about 18% bf.

I only do wods or metabolic conditioning twice a week.

just curious what you guys might think since I know alot of people do paleo religiously.

my recovery time is faster but still not all that great while on a calorie deficit.

Last edited by Ross Buchanan; 10-18-2013 at 07:49 AM..
Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Phil Washlow

Profile:
Re: So hows my diet look?

I would make a few changes.
- I would eliminate the first protein shake, if you still want that amount of protein then just have some more bacon or an extra egg or two, real food is better than shakes.
- I don't think there is a need for the banana or oatmeal since you are getting some carbs in your lunch before your workout.
-I would replace (or add to) the yogurt with some carbs from rice, sweet potatoe etc.
-Lastly I would say no whole grain pasta, many people are unknowingly gluten intollerant (not near the level of celiac but some neurological and inflammation issues) and it can slow your recovery down.

My advice comes from the idea of centering all of your carbs around your workout and trying to limit inflammation.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Ross Buchanan

Profile:

aww man no more white bread or mac n cheese!? only kidding lol.

ill definitely add the carbs for post workout. I may be wrong but I figured there would be enough in the yogurt with lactose and stuff. I have no problem with eating more. especially bacon haha.

am I in the wrong for no carbs around dinner time? but if kicking out pasta means faster recovery im more than okay with that.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Buchanan View Post
aww man no more white bread or mac n cheese!? only kidding lol.

ill definitely add the carbs for post workout. I may be wrong but I figured there would be enough in the yogurt with lactose and stuff. I have no problem with eating more. especially bacon haha.

am I in the wrong for no carbs around dinner time? but if kicking out pasta means faster recovery im more than okay with that.
If you're getting enough carbs post workout to replenish glycogen stores then you should be alright. In terms of the yogurt having enough, I am not sure how many are in the yogurt, I would aim for around 100g, post workout is the best time for replenishing glycogen stores because that is when they are most depleted.

My thoughts on carbs is that they are necessary and helpful but most beneficial around workout time. So rest days I have just what I get from veggies and workout days I try for 100-200g, around 50g pre workout and 100g post.

Eliminating gluten may help with recovery, it isn't for certain. I would try it for a couple weeks and see how you feel.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
wake up, take an hour long walk or 20 minute row on an empty stomach,
afterwards i instantly drink a one scoop protein drink, make a piece of quarter inch thick cut bacon, leave the grease in the pan and make 4 or 5 eggs. salt and pepper. followed by a banana and packet of crap oatmeal.

lunch 6-8oz of chicken or steak, plentiful serving of dark green vegetables and one cup of brown rice or whole grain pasta or sweet potato.

an hour later I lift heavy for about an hour and fifteen minutes. slam another scoop of protein powder. and eat a chobani yogurt.

for dinner I eat a large portion around 10-12 ounces of fish may it be salmon or tilapia and a hefty portion of vegetables. no carbs before bed.

I'm 5'10" 220 pounds. I'm gaining muscle and strength and my body fat is melting off. before when I did strictly paleo i wasnt recovering from any workouts and I just continued to get smaller.I'm still about 18% bf.

I only do wods or metabolic conditioning twice a week.

just curious what you guys might think since I know alot of people do paleo religiously.

my recovery time is faster but still not all that great while on a calorie deficit.
Is there a question in there? Sounds like everything is going great for you.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Ross Buchanan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Is there a question in there? Sounds like everything is going great for you.
I guess my issue is long recovery but my workout volume is a little nuts.

example sunday was
Bench 4 sets of 5 , 2 sets of 12
50 strict pullups usually sets of 6 followed by 15 strict pullups one every 15 seconds
100 ring push ups usually sets of 14 reps
50 body weight dips
8 - 250 meter sprints on the rower.

so idunno if I should consume more since body fat is still around 18%
Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Is there a plan there or just what you feel like doing?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Ross Buchanan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Is there a plan there or just what you feel like doing?
im really into jim wendlers 5/3/1.
big lift (squat, deadlift, bench, strict press)
followed by 2 assistance lifts (dips, row, good mornings, you get the idea)
I usually do more assistance.

i do most metabolic conditioning/ wods on separate days so I can make them in long and in depth and not be out of fuel or glycogen like I would be after doing that much volume in strength training. for me strength comes first, conditioning is runner up. only because lifting a 115 pound barbell over head is a hell of a lot easier when your max strict is 255 instead of 185. sunday I did intervals just for the heck of it.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
I guess my issue is long recovery but my workout volume is a little nuts.

example sunday was
Bench 4 sets of 5 , 2 sets of 12
50 strict pullups usually sets of 6 followed by 15 strict pullups one every 15 seconds
100 ring push ups usually sets of 14 reps
50 body weight dips
8 - 250 meter sprints on the rower.

so idunno if I should consume more since body fat is still around 18%
If you are trying to drop bodyfat, you have to drop some calories.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Jeff Enge

Profile:

What you are doing is not 5/3/1. If you want to do the program, do youself a favor and follow it as written.