CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Back to the drawing board

As the title says i'm going back to the drawing board after a crappy incident, regarding work. I'm doing some self-evaluating and putting things into perspective goal wise for next time.

Being honest with myself i'd have to say these are my strengths/weaknesses:

+ Strong
+ Speed over short distances
+ Mental and physical toughness

- Stamina
- Swimming
- Running
- Bulk

I know there are plenty of military folks here, and plenty of ex semi pro or high calibre athletes. My question would be how have you dealt with balancing the different facets of your training, also how do you balance your needs in training and your wants (things you enjoy training vs things you need to improve on)

Furthermore how have you gone about identifying what your sport/SOF unit etc...needs are in terms of training metrics.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Back to the drawing board

Drew, I'm prior Military and currently in LE for 13 years. I was the total opposite of you. I came from a cardio background, but was really weak. In 2010, I decided I needed to change that. I now do a powerlifting program 4 days a week and run 4 days a week. I'm now a big fan of being well balanced.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Westside programming ending with MetCons including the accessory exercises has really made things enjoyable and improved performance across the board. Do hard things (drag sleds, move distances with a heavy pack). Mental and physical toughening have always been a favorite of mine.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Drew,

Are you sure you don't have to give up some of what you have to get more of what you need?

If my weaknesses are endurance based, I may not want to get there by focusing on a strength based program.

(I'm not advocating getting weak, I am advocating skewing your program to meet your needs)
Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Granted you may very well be right Robert, but I wouldnt say my numbers (strength) are far and above the level at which they impede upon my other numbers.

What I mean is its not like i'm a 275'er and deadlifting and squatting 900+ and because I'm so strong AND big and thats all I do I can't even run a single km to save my life.

Plenty of guys for example at the games can run 5k in 20 or less and still squat 400+ and deadlift 500+

I do think though that far and away my strength endurance and cardio endurance as well as speed need to be upgraded, whereas my strength could stay where its at or drop 1-5% (because I would not be concentrating on it as much) but I am convinced that in the next 12-16 months I can maintain strength and improve everything else. If anything many members on this board and many more members in the crossfit community are testament to that.

BUT I get what you are trying to say, that basically if someone wants something bad enough they will change/transform themselves to get what they want and later if/when they can do more of what they originally liked.

Ex: bodybuilder/powerlifter type guy wants to be a Navy SEAL has to drop the kind of strength training he does and crank up the running, swimming and calisthenics, but once he is on a team he can gradually get back into powerlifting so long as he stays in shape for the teams.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I think you are seeing it right. So what exactly are your numbers currently? Just curious.....
Old 10-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Granted you may very well be right Robert, but I wouldnt say my numbers (strength) are far and above the level at which they impede upon my other numbers.

What I mean is its not like i'm a 275'er and deadlifting and squatting 900+ and because I'm so strong AND big and thats all I do I can't even run a single km to save my life.

Plenty of guys for example at the games can run 5k in 20 or less and still squat 400+ and deadlift 500+

I do think though that far and away my strength endurance and cardio endurance as well as speed need to be upgraded, whereas my strength could stay where its at or drop 1-5% (because I would not be concentrating on it as much) but I am convinced that in the next 12-16 months I can maintain strength and improve everything else. If anything many members on this board and many more members in the crossfit community are testament to that.

BUT I get what you are trying to say, that basically if someone wants something bad enough they will change/transform themselves to get what they want and later if/when they can do more of what they originally liked.

Ex: bodybuilder/powerlifter type guy wants to be a Navy SEAL has to drop the kind of strength training he does and crank up the running, swimming and calisthenics, but once he is on a team he can gradually get back into powerlifting so long as he stays in shape for the teams.
Drew,

What I read was that strength was your...well...strength. But you need to improve your endurance. As I understand it, your goals require a considerable amount of endurance, and no small amount of strength. (but you already have that.)

I agree it's very possible to get stronger and develop your endurance, my thoughts would be what do I need to focus on to complete my goals.

As I understand your goals, they require something different than being really good for one weekend in July. I don't know that Rich Froning could do your goal, but I know people do, so what do they focus on? That's where I would focus my efforts.

Team guys are often not super strong at BUD/S, the training doesn't emphasize it or require it past a certain point. (Not saying they're weak, in any way, just that it requires a lot of endurance and strength endurance, vs. 1RM strength.) They almost inevitably get a lot stronger when they get to a Team.

It becomes a how bad do you want it question. If meeting your primary goal requires you to "neglect" your strength goals (obviously no ones saying neglect, just not focus on) in order to complete it, can you do that? That's one "how bad do you want it?" decision among many you have to make as you pursue your goal.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

That's exactly how I understood your earlier comment and I am glad you elaborated on it. Basically I know I'm strong enough for what I'm trying to do now I need to build muscular endurance and increase running speed when running distances. I was basically saying that strength wise I'm in a maintenance period and also a transformation period I guess since I am trying to be strong at more then just 5 or less reps.

My numbers are:

Body weight : 225lbs I was at this body weight doing 2 a day workouts in my work-up training. BUT I will be bringing this my bw down to anywhere from 185 to 200.

Deadlift: 555lbs
Bench: 300lbs
Squat: 445lbs
Strict OHP: 205lbs
Old 10-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

How tall?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Drew Cloutier

Profile: