CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #71
Bob Herald

Profile:
Re: TRT experience

I've never had bowel issues but I can relate to charley on the aches. Before TRT , and nearing my next shot, I would wake up stiff and sore. I do play competitive sports and strength train so I thought it was normal. It was getting worse over time , to where I would hobble around like an old man for 15 minutes every morning.

Post TRT, I jump out of bed loose and stiffness free. Strange that that's related to testosterone , but it seems to be the case
Old 05-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #72
Charley Agen

Profile:

Just checking in to see how everything is going for you Bob?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #73
Bob Herald

Profile:

Good so far. Thanks for asking. Just had my second shot last week. Libido is still good. Not as intense as the first shot, but still good.

I've gained a good deal of weight in two weeks. Went from 204 to 212. Everyone has been telling me I'm a lot bigger. Mainly shoulders neck and arms. My strength is going up like crazy. 2 weeks ago my bench was 230x 5 on a good day. I was tired today and put up 240x5 easily.

No problems with sore nips or testes.

Only thing is, I've had trouble sleeping the past 2 nights. Can't shut my mind off. Was up to 4 am one night and 2 last night. A tiny bout of anxiety surfaced. But I've had that in my past. Due to ptsd and stuff. Hopefully its a transient thing, up until now I've slept better since therapy started. I did ween my self off of anxiety meds shortly before starting TRT, so I'm sure that has something to do with the sleeping.

How've you been, Charley?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #74
Charley Agen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
Good so far. Thanks for asking. Just had my second shot last week. Libido is still good. Not as intense as the first shot, but still good.

I've gained a good deal of weight in two weeks. Went from 204 to 212. Everyone has been telling me I'm a lot bigger. Mainly shoulders neck and arms. My strength is going up like crazy. 2 weeks ago my bench was 230x 5 on a good day. I was tired today and put up 240x5 easily.

No problems with sore nips or testes.

Only thing is, I've had trouble sleeping the past 2 nights. Can't shut my mind off. Was up to 4 am one night and 2 last night. A tiny bout of anxiety surfaced. But I've had that in my past. Due to ptsd and stuff. Hopefully its a transient thing, up until now I've slept better since therapy started. I did ween my self off of anxiety meds shortly before starting TRT, so I'm sure that has something to do with the sleeping.

How've you been, Charley?
Nice work on the numbers! Did you ever get diagnosed primary or secondary hypogonadism? Did you ever have to get a pituitary MRI? Thats wierd you are having sleeping problems. From what I've read TRT should help in that category, but if you have ptsd then I can see why.

I've been doing pretty well. Sleeping and feeling a little better, libido is still nil. I am getting my testosterone tested again at the end of May and going to see if anything has changed. If it hasn't then I have some decisions to make. Keep us posted.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #75
Bob Herald

Profile:

Thanks Charley. Nope, there was never a diagnosis. No tests other than T levels. I know my doc isn't very thorough but hey, I'd rather have an aggressive doc than one that won't treat me. And I got my insurance statement and it was all covered. I get regular physicals for work. These include lung capacity, EKG , blod work etc.

I know my quality of life is much better. I look a lot better too. I look more solid. Which is good for self esteem. Before I worked out endlessly and it was discouraging because I couldn't recover and never looked any different. I think a lot of the guys on here that gain fat before muscle when the increase calories should take a look at their hormone levels.

Charley, have you been trying to naturally boost it? What has your doc said?

I find a good indicator of where my levels are is the presence or absence of "morning wood" haha . It true. When I get it, which is most days now, I know my levels are normal.

Keep me updated on your progress Charley. I know it's a big plunge but believe me it will change your life. TRT is way more common than most people suspect. I know a lot of guys on it and I'm sure there's more that are that haven't divulged . Good luck
Old 05-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #76
Charley Agen

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks Charley. Nope, there was never a diagnosis. No tests other than T levels. I know my doc isn't very thorough but hey, I'd rather have an aggressive doc than one that won't treat me. And I got my insurance statement and it was all covered. I get regular physicals for work. These include lung capacity, EKG , blod work etc.

I know my quality of life is much better. I look a lot better too. I look more solid. Which is good for self esteem. Before I worked out endlessly and it was discouraging because I couldn't recover and never looked any different. I think a lot of the guys on here that gain fat before muscle when the increase calories should take a look at their hormone levels.

Charley, have you been trying to naturally boost it? What has your doc said?

I find a good indicator of where my levels are is the presence or absence of "morning wood" haha . It true. When I get it, which is most days now, I know my levels are normal.

Keep me updated on your progress Charley. I know it's a big plunge but believe me it will change your life. TRT is way more common than most people suspect. I know a lot of guys on it and I'm sure there's more that are that haven't divulged . Good luck
No I haven't been trying to boost naturally other than eating a lot, getting as much sleep as possible, and just started lifting as heavy as possible again. Definitely no morning erections on this end. I have been feeling a little bit stronger though, but that could be due to taking about 3 months off of training and I'm not working out that intensely yet.

Yeah I think it is a lot more common than most people believe too. I think most men are just too embarrassed to talk about it. When I first went to see my endocrinologist I told him all about my symptoms and was surprised I am was going in to so much detail. He said that getting men to talk about this issue was normally like pulling teeth. If there are others out there in the same boat as us reading this lets hear from you.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #77
Bob Herald

Profile:

I was embarrassed at first and kicked the idea around for awhile, then I realized how many guys i personally know that TRT . The hardest part was talking to my woman about it. But, not that i desire her way more often, it has taken a lot of strain off of our relationship. Women internalize and the whole "it's not you, it's me " thing doesn't work. She will still think she's unattractive if you're not having sex. And sometimes they will find reassurance that they are attractive from other men.

I decided I was going to do something about it before it got to this point. Even if it means my long term health is uncertain. That whole lack of sex was our only struggle in our relationship, and now we are so much happier.

Before TRT I started to get higher testosterone levels (morning wood indicator) from just lifting heavy all the time, (70's big programming) and increasing my dietary fat. I also started to get chunky. I think testostone and recovery is a fine balance. Too much cardio and met cons and you burn up your testosterone chips. Too little met cons and cardio and you gain fat, raising your estrogen and lowering your testosterone eventually. Keeping lean , gaining strength and optimizing your testosterone for a deficient male is a difficult battle.

Keep at it Charley you'll find the right balance. And if you don't, TRT is a viable option.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #78
Robert Walsh

Profile:

Quote:
I think testostone and recovery is a fine balance. Too much cardio and met cons and you burn up your testosterone chips. Too little met cons and cardio and you gain fat, raising your estrogen and lowering your testosterone eventually. Keeping lean , gaining strength and optimizing your testosterone for a deficient male is a difficult battle.
This is my experience as well. Not that I have had my T levels checked by a doc but I'm damn sure I know when they are low.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #79
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walsh View Post
This is my experience as well. Not that I have had my T levels checked by a doc but I'm damn sure I know when they are low.
Yep, and I never really put together what was going on with me before. What's the difference between the 19 yo who can eat Doritos, looks ripped , and can train every day vs me?? Testosterone is the only answer
Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #80
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Yep, and I never really put together what was going on with me before. What's the difference between the 19 yo who can eat Doritos, looks ripped , and can train every day vs me?? Testosterone is the only answer
I don't entirely agree with that statement.

It's not just Test. It's the entire hormonal profile. Youth is youth. We'll never get that back no matter how much test we take. The metabolism slows naturally with age. Test will not change that. I've found i've had to concentrate even more on eating properly now than ever. But my goals have changed as I now longer want to be big and strong. I simply want to be healthy/fit/ready for zombie apocolypse.

All the best,
Arden