CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Luke Norian

Profile:
Cool Am I impeding results?

I'm a 20 year old, 170 pound, 5'8 1/2 male who's been CF'ing for about a year. Fitness runs in the family so I definitely had a solid background but this is clearly the best shape I've ever been in in my entire life. During the fall & winter I just maintain (eat healthy but less strict & exercise a couple times a week). However, during the spring & summer, I CF about 4 times a week, play handball (which is less popular outside of New York but it's an extremely high-intensity sport) about 4 times a week, and run once or twice a week. In short, I'm burning a **** load of calories during the spring & summer. My diet is also extremely strict during this time (I don't follow a diet but it ends up looking like your typical Paleo + some whole grains). This is where I get worried but I'm not sure if I should be. According to my BMR, I should be getting about 3,100-3,200 calories in order to maintain and 2,350 - 2,600 to cut, which is what I'm trying to do. Now, anyone who eats extremely healthy knows that calories don't count as much when you're eating really clean. I've gotten into a routine (for the past few spring & summers) that gets me 5 meals/day and 2,200-2,300 calories a day - it works for me. I've learned that if you get too crazy, the whole eating thing will stress you out and you'll fail at it. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in and I've seen major strength gains in the past couple months. I can now string together a few muscle-ups in a row as well as hold handstands for a while (almost can do a free-standing handstand push-up).

My concern is that I need to take in more calories but I rather not unless, of course, it's necessary. According to the BMR calculator, I'm a bit deficient in calories. I don't feel like I'm starving for calories, though. I'm mainly wondering if this calories deficiency is impeding on the maximality of my strength gains, recovery times, and any other random complications (such as immune system things or something).
Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Am I impeding results?

Yes, a calorie deficit will impede strength gains and recovery. The question is. how much do you care? If cutting weight is important to you, it sounds like limiting your gains is a tradeoff you're willing to make.

I do question why you cut back so much in the winter, though. Over the long term, the backsliding you do during that six months is likely to have more of an impact than any tweaks you make during the active part of the year.

Katherine
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Luke Norian

Profile:

Regarding the first part, I see what you're saying. As of now, it seems that I'm still obtaining noticeable strength gains but I think it might be wise for me to maybe raise that total calorie intake number to something closer to 2,500. I think that's doable and will benefit me better all around.

Regarding the second part, I wouldn't call it 'backsliding'. I think you misunderstood me. Exercising and eating as strict as I do during the summer isn't very maintainable, especially during school. I do what any athlete does. I go hard during my 'season', then relax during my 'off-season', while still maintaining and being generally considered more fit than your average person. In other words, during the winter I still eat healthy but maybe allow myself to eat more diverse foods than during the summer. I also exercise but instead of burning something like 1,000 calories a day, 5 days a week just from activity, I'll burn 500-750 calories a day, 2ish times a week. During the winter I also stay on top of practicing my gymnastics which helps maintain strength in a fun way. I'm not even almost a gymnast but the sport's strength-requirements definitely interest me.

Last edited by Luke Norian : 03-23-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

I'm with Katherine. The idea of taking it easy for months and then training hard for months just hits me the wrong way.

Oh, and yes, you are hindering progress with your diet.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I'm not saying you should maintain your "in-season" training all year, just that your "off-season" looks like a bit less than you would need for maintenance, much less to continue to improve each year.

Katherine