CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Michelle Stafford

Profile:
Lifting Belt

My training and strength numbers are going through the roof!!!! Super happy about that, but it's time I invest in a good lifting belt. Any recommendations on a quality lifting belt?

Thanks in advance

Michelle
Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Lifting Belt

For powerlifting, try Inzer or Bestbelts.
I have an Inzer forever lever belt. Had it for 3+ years and I use it regularly - still in great shape and I really do expect it to last forever.

If it is just for weightlifting, go with something simple from Valeo or Harbinger.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
John Donovan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
For powerlifting, try Inzer or Bestbelts.
I have an Inzer forever lever belt. Had it for 3+ years and I use it regularly - still in great shape and I really do expect it to last forever.

If it is just for weightlifting, go with something simple from Valeo or Harbinger.
I agree with this. If you're pretty heavy into powerlifting go with a heavy leather belt but for most CF/weightlifting a cheapo Valeo belt should work. I bought one from Dunham's for $25 and use it regularly on heavy squats/deads as well as all my oly stuff
32/5'10"/233. 500m row-1:39/1000m row-3:53/2k row- 8:12/DL-495, FS-325, Back squat- 440, Press-205, Snatch-96kg, C&J-121Kg, 5k run- 27:30
Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

I highly recommend http://bestbelts.net (wfs) if you are looking for a sturdy leather belt for squats, deadlifts, etc.. Great price, great quality, great support. Shoot them an email telling them your waist measurement, what you want the belt for, and an idea of your current ability level and future goals and they will tell you exactly the belt and size that is right for you.

Like the other guys said, the cheap vinyl belts from Valeo, etc. are fine too. People like them for Olympic weightlifting because they are easier to get on and off between reps and the buckles tend to get in the way less than more substantial belts.

With any belt, there will be some time to adapt so don't immediate hate the thing if you get it and it is annoying and pinching you and just getting in the way. You'll eventually figure out the best way to wear it and how to effectively use it.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I received a Eleiko Olympic WL Belt several Christmas's ago it works for me, + 1 for Best Belts. I would get an inexpensive belt to see if it works for you
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

This belt would be mostly for Oly lifts / crossfit type workouts w/ some strength days built in my week. What got me thinking about a belt was last week when I decided to test my 1RM on deadlift. Six months ago, it was 210, I hit 260 last week and felt I could do more, but was a little nervous with the pressure in my back.

I just want to play it safe and avoid injury, thought a lifting belt was something I should consider. I have no issue spending good money on a belt that's worth the price.

Do you guys think a belt is necessary. Would it effect mobility, mechanics and position during lifts?

Last edited by Michelle Stafford; 05-29-2013 at 09:13 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Jess Ablang

Profile:

I might recommend the Spud lifting belts, as they lay much more flat across your stomach. 2 ply should be sufficient, but check if you're more comfortable with a 3" or a 4" belt width.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Ron Thurston

Profile:

I purchased a Spud belt (the 4" wide) and in about 3 months the velcro started getting really frayed and pulling apart. It also didn't stay very straight due to the ring and velcro attachment. I actually had it pop off during a particularly heavy squat attempt when I was in the hole. Not a pleasant experience.

I went to BestBelts (mentioned elsewhere) and got a very high quality, leather belt (the Rust color is cool looking too) with a double buckle. The thing is rock solid and I recommend them highly. You can choose from a variety of belt widths and colors.

If you are thinking of investing in a great belt, that's the place to go. You'll have it for a lifetime.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Jess Ablang

Profile:

That's odd. We've got one for general use at my gym, and it's held up pretty well for a couple years.

I'll agree with everyone's assessment that Best Belts is very good. Dean and Jackie have great communication, and I love that you get to buy from a mom & pop operation. Too bad they don't make levers, grabbed one from Inzer when I wanted one.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Michael Dries

Profile:

I'm a huge fan of my Inzer forever lever belt.

In my barbell club I was a point of jealousy when I could just flip the lever to tighten the belt while friends had to get help from others to cinch it and fuss with the buckle.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....VER_LEVER_10MM (WFS)