CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 11-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:
The CrossFit Games Needs an Enemy

The CrossFit Games is a joyous time full of friendly competition. I don't think there's been much of a CrossFit "enemy" yet aside from a few incidents such as Ryan Fischer yelling at the judges.

I wrote this article somewhat as a satire, but I do think the CrossFit Games could benefit from having an athlete to root against.

You can see the article here:
http://www.garagegymreviews.com/2015...eeds-an-enemy/ (WFS)

FYI, this is my personal website.

Do any of you guys think CrossFit has a so called 'enemy' yet? And if so, who?
Old 11-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: The CrossFit Games Needs an Enemy

Hah, +1 for humor.

I don't think this will happen. CrossFit is unlike a lot of other sports where a very talented and arrogant athlete can "dominate" the field pretty consistently. The Games, and in particular the training, involves an obscene amount of losing. Or placing 5th-10th over 7-10 grueling events. All of which are highly unpredictable. There is no trotting around the bases after your home run snatch, cause you might be competing at your worst nightmare event next. The winner is often the one who suffers the most. All very humbling.

Mild gloating? Maybe. I could see a Zach Galifianakis type character rising up, but his shtick is so obviously sarcastic he's still highly like-able.

Last edited by Mauricio Leal : 11-18-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Hah, +1 for humor.

I don't think this will happen. CrossFit is unlike a lot of other sports where a very talented and arrogant athlete can "dominate" the field pretty consistently. The Games, and in particular the training, involves an obscene amount of losing. Or placing 5th-10th over 7-10 grueling events. All of which are highly unpredictable. There is no trotting around the bases after your home run snatch, cause you might be competing at your worst nightmare event next. The winner is often the one who suffers the most. All very humbling.

Mild gloating? Maybe. I could see a Zach Galifianakis type character rising up, but his shtick is so obviously sarcastic he's still highly like-able.
Good points. That being said, I believe it's possible to dominate the field consistently, although very unlikely. Rich Froning has done it. Dan Bailey has been top 10 for many years. Mat Fraser has the possibility of being a dominant contender.

And, guys get jacked up all the time when they win an event. Case in point is Josh Bridges. If they were to flaunt it a bit more it could definitely lead to animosity among viewers.

A dominant athlete IMO doesn't have to win every single event, BUT get pretty close. Froning has shown this quite well.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Richard Colon

Profile:

I don't know for sure whether this will happen, but it is going to take a larger separation between the core of Crossfit and Crossfit for the point of competition.

The core is about community. Cheering each other on, grinding through something "together", empathizing and sympathizing with the struggles of others - because "you've been there."

For it to get to the level of a 'heel' in WWE, such as The Rock vs. Stone Cold or the hatred that Ohio State has for Michigan State, its goin' to take separating high level competition from the community part of Crossfit. Without that, it will never happen.

There is no community between the Yankees and the Red Sox (yet both are fans of the same game). None between the Cowboys...and well, the rest of the NFL. From a fan base, to media, to the general person that simply lives in a certain place and grew up with Packer flags vs. Bear flags on the porch, that is how rivalries, animosity, hatred and disdain for another starts.

I dont like to use the word hate, because its strong. I'm not at all talking about the dumb, illegal and harmful stuff that Raiders fans or Dodgers fan have done to people wearing the "wrong uniform", but good ol' competition and dislike - as you constantly see in UFC weigh-ins, is GREAT! That is what it is about and always will be.

There needs to be a separation first. I like rooting for the hero but without the Joker, Batman never becomes arguably the most popular superhero of all time.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I don't know for sure whether this will happen, but it is going to take a larger separation between the core of Crossfit and Crossfit for the point of competition.

The core is about community. Cheering each other on, grinding through something "together", empathizing and sympathizing with the struggles of others - because "you've been there."

For it to get to the level of a 'heel' in WWE, such as The Rock vs. Stone Cold or the hatred that Ohio State has for Michigan State, its goin' to take separating high level competition from the community part of Crossfit. Without that, it will never happen.

There is no community between the Yankees and the Red Sox (yet both are fans of the same game). None between the Cowboys...and well, the rest of the NFL. From a fan base, to media, to the general person that simply lives in a certain place and grew up with Packer flags vs. Bear flags on the porch, that is how rivalries, animosity, hatred and disdain for another starts.

I dont like to use the word hate, because its strong. I'm not at all talking about the dumb, illegal and harmful stuff that Raiders fans or Dodgers fan have done to people wearing the "wrong uniform", but good ol' competition and dislike - as you constantly see in UFC weigh-ins, is GREAT! That is what it is about and always will be.

There needs to be a separation first. I like rooting for the hero but without the Joker, Batman never becomes arguably the most popular superhero of all time.
That's a great point. I think the separation between the CrossFit Games and CrossFit is only in its infancy. There's obviously a separation but I believe it will continue to increase over time. CrossFit Games Athletes are training for absolute performance. CrossFit trainees are seeking a better life and longevity.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Loved the article. But then again in the last thread I was nominated to be put in the Trolling community. LOL..

I remember when I was racing bikes as a kid. One guy 4 years older was a boss of the track, took people down, intimidated the other athletes.. he was near the best in the world. He had his own gang, they used to drink beer and get in fights before, during and after the races.

Fast forward 35 years he was the most gentle and most passionate coach ever till he died what he was doing.

Sure Fish was scolded at the regional for cursing and threading the judge. But did you see the no reps.. I might have done the same thing. But hanging around and working out with Fish you would think that he is the nicest guy around.

I did see the air apperent until the hspu Matt F throw the 100# dumbbell from station to station.. was thinking what if the dumbbell bounced into the other lane while someone else was doing squat snatches.. but it did not.. was a great toss each time.

If someone new in cf or someone really good decided to put on a black mask and was talking some serious smack to the Rich F or Jason K's of this crossfit world.. maybe they might come back to individuals.

People like to hate on the bad guys and some like to hate on the good guys. Sometimes a box of popcorn is good while the fire works are happening. But everyone is so dam nice in cf.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Rob Bousquet

Profile:

Didn't Tommy H. talk a bunch of smack about wanting to beat Rich 2 years ago? edit- for link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYKqUEVMuKw WFS

They could do it on the team level, that would be cool. Do a tug o war between teams and the winner advances.

Last edited by Rob Bousquet : 11-19-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
John Drohan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
Loved the article. But then again in the last thread I was nominated to be put in the Trolling community. LOL..
You're the villian we need....

+1 to the OP for also being a redditor.

I think it's tough to be the "Enemy" in Crossfit because of how tightly controlled things are from the inside. Castro/HQ don't seem to put up with any BS, real or perceived.

Because Crossfit athletes on average earn so little money, few can afford to run afoul with HQ. So you'll end up seeing conformity to the current Crossfit norms and behavioral patterns, which up to this point are benign and actually quite decent. To their credit, it's one of the things HQ is doing very well.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Good topic. Been saying this for a while. Need someone to come in, wreak the field, and talk crap while doing it.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

I said this a while ago.. my mental coach yes I said it.. mental coach told me that I should talk some trash to my training partners and even give the games guys a bit of the jargon. Its hard because everyone in the 40+ is so cool. One guy left you feeling imbalanced with some outlandish comments. But overall such cool people.

I remember being on the B boat for the 1995 Americas Cup and you were treated like the B boat guys from the A boat. One day we were sparing with the A boat and were killing them up wind, down wind, off wind, making better decisions on where to be, tacking, etc.. we give them so much crap talking when we tacked on thier wind. They totally deserved it… and it was so much fun.

When I was in Track cycling my coach would tell us to scare the opponent like you have lost control and once they over react then hit them with the good stuff.. Go fast when you can.. Said by Eddie B

Crossfit dark side..Trip them up on the dubs, throw a bar close to them, scare them a bit. And talk some crap during..

Loved Tommy H.. sadly he was not able to back it up. But his team should be able to do it.. Rich F's team is getting better and better. No Cal has to step it up a bit. Love Miranda believe me I am a big fan.. but two times being the weak link is enough. Recruit some new blood.

I am going to start talking trash to my workout partners.. Watch out Dani Sidell, Roy Voss, Tony the tiger, Corey B.. and when I travel Ryan Fish, Kenny L.. this old grey man is coming for you..

Now gotta start training more to back it up.