CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
Jon Campbell

Profile:
Re: Open letter to CrossFit HQ by Dr Adam Schulte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
This is a great video. The Murph event would have looked different if athletes had known and followed the practices suggested here. K Star and Brian McKenzie are knowledgeable members of the CrossFit community. I would love to see this knowledge put out to stay ahead of the problem, rather than a shoulda woulda coulda.

Brian McKenzie: "We've been doing this (cooling techniques in heat event sports) for over a decade. Maybe some things we should have gotten out a little earlier."
At the end of the day it was a 40 min event. How many high school kids are practicing for over an hour in much hotter temps in full pads. While I think HQ could have done a better job with ensuring the pull up bars didn't get so hot, I'm not sure how sorry I feel for anyone of the athletes complaining about "bad programming".
Old 08-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
At the end of the day it was a 40 min event. How many high school kids are practicing for over an hour in much hotter temps in full pads. While I think HQ could have done a better job with ensuring the pull up bars didn't get so hot, I'm not sure how sorry I feel for anyone of the athletes complaining about "bad programming".
Also from the video, K Star said about the Murph event, "I don't think that's a programming problem at all. I think it was athletes not recognizing the implications of the heat."

The video points out a lot of athletes were without shirts, without hats during that event. They discuss cooling guidelines like wearing white shirts, hats, having damp fabric around the neck to cool large veins in the neck that draw blood to the body's core.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #13
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Also from the video, K Star said about the Murph event, "I don't think that's a programming problem at all. I think it was athletes not recognizing the implications of the heat."

The video points out a lot of athletes were without shirts, without hats during that event. They discuss cooling guidelines like wearing white shirts, hats, having damp fabric around the neck to cool large veins in the neck that draw blood to the body's core.
Yep, Brian said the same thing.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:33 AM   #14
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
They discuss cooling guidelines like wearing white shirts
Arent black clothes better in this situations? Thats why most people wear black in middle east areas.

Or is it a matter of humidty as middle east's humidity is very low, compare to california?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #15
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Arent black clothes better in this situations? Thats why most people wear black in middle east areas.

Or is it a matter of humidty as middle east's humidity is very low, compare to california?
There are different variables that come into play. The problem with white clothes is they reflect your body heat back in towards your body. Now they are also reflect the sun's heat. However while black absorbs the suns heat it also absorbs your body heat and with some breeze blowing will move the heat away from your body better. Black is also more protective from UV than white so it has a higher SPF level.

What I'm not sure about is how the tighter moisture wicking clothes play into this.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
Christopher Morris

Profile:

So... ideal coloring would be clothes that are white on the outside and black on the inside?