CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #41
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Re: Diet to lose weight and gain power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Jacobson View Post
So Eric, what do you mean by this :
"If you worked so hard to lose those 20lbs there's a very good chance you put a lot of effort into burning up muscle mass?"

I was 30lb overweight and had no muscle. After three children in 3 years, with no exercise, I think it was mostly fat. And that picture is amazing. I really don't care about the numbers on the scale; like most everyone, I just want to look good and perform well.

Sounds like the consensus is to lift heavier, and so I will!
The numbers just seem a bit strange, that's all. If you're at 126*0.73 = 92lb LBM, then for you to have lost all fat, you must have been at a BF percentage of (146-92)/146 = 37% (which is not just overweight but obese) at a bodyweight of 146. It's just tough to imagine somebody being obese at 145lb, but I guess it's possible. I think plenty of good advice here so far.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #42
April Jacobson

Profile:

Yeah, years ago I had my BF% measured with calipers and the trainer told me that I was technically obese then. It is possible because I have really small bones. He told me that if I was well muscled, I should weigh 125 ideally. One guy's opinion, I guess.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #43
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I hope you ditched that trainer then. There's no way a woman who's 5'8" is going to weigh 125lbs if she's carrying even a modest amount of muscle mass.

Look at Camille Leblanc-Bazinet...according to her Games stats she's 5'2" and 125lbs, and there's no way she could be considered overly muscular.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #44
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

As Eric said, I hope you ditched that trainer. Strong women who only weigh 125# are typically going to be quite a bit shorter than you. I compete in weightlifting, and at 5'4" I'd say I'm on the tall side of the 58kg weight class. (Nor am I actually all that strong by weightlifting standards.) At the other end, there's a female firebreather at my gym who weighs 175# at 5'11" and is still pretty lean. So at 5'8" your weight should be somewhere in between ... or right around the 150# number that plenty of people have been throwing around.

(And on the tiny bones thing ... overly tiny bones = osteoporosis. Bone density is your friend, and you get that from weightbearing exercise.)

Katherine
Old 05-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #45
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I hope you ditched that trainer then. There's no way a woman who's 5'8" is going to weigh 125lbs if she's carrying even a modest amount of muscle mass.

Look at Camille Leblanc-Bazinet...according to her Games stats she's 5'2" and 125lbs, and there's no way she could be considered overly muscular.
I know it's hard to believe, but I've stopped using Camille as a model CFer to convince some head case ladies, because they in fact did see even her as overly muscular...

It's hard for many of us to remember what it's like to be on the outside looking in. There are a lot of body image/societal issues to battle with, particularly for women. I don't try to sell anyone on the results very hard anymore because half the time we're not talking about the same goals even if we are using the same words. A lot of women want to be skinny and perhaps jusssst toned enough to look like they workout. Focus on playing the performance numbers game and maybe whisper some crazy notions about fitness when they're in their "suggestible" states (aka sweat angel moments), and eventually the shift comes from within them and through seeing others blossom around them.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #46
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
I know it's hard to believe, but I've stopped using Camille as a model CFer to convince some head case ladies, because they in fact did see even her as overly muscular...

It's hard for many of us to remember what it's like to be on the outside looking in. There are a lot of body image/societal issues to battle with, particularly for women. I don't try to sell anyone on the results very hard anymore because half the time we're not talking about the same goals even if we are using the same words. A lot of women want to be skinny and perhaps jusssst toned enough to look like they workout. Focus on playing the performance numbers game and maybe whisper some crazy notions about fitness when they're in their "suggestible" states (aka sweat angel moments), and eventually the shift comes from within them and through seeing others blossom around them.
Seriously? WFS
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #47
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Yes. It's always something. Bulky calves. Insufficiently busty. Boy-ish. Whatever. It boggles the mind. If it's ideal then it's unattainable, and if it's less than perfect then it's fatally flawed. I just think of it as the ego's defense mechanism against change, particularly for a mind weary of self-critique. But I'm no psychotherapist, nor do I care to be, so better to redirect the conversation IMHO.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #48
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
I can sorta see where people are coming from.

I am into muscle and fitness and fit girls, and yet I find that for example Annie Thorisdottir/Annie Sakamoto are too muscular for me to say "yes, that's the body type I am attracted to" even though I respect their athletic achievements. If girls are just training for looks, I can certainly see how they'd be dissuaded by looking at top performers.

Though certainly most girls who worry about such things, could use more muscle in the first place. They think gaining muscle happens accidentally. If only gaining muscle were that easy.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #49
Chris Mason

Profile:

Did you ever post a picture? If not this whole thread is stupid. Body fat measurements don't mean anything to me (way too much variability). Your concerns could very well be due a form of body dysmorphia. EVERYTHING being said here is conjecture without seeing what you actually look like. If you truly want sound advice post a pic. If not, then you are wasting your time and ours.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #50
April Jacobson

Profile:

Here are two pictures. Both are early morning fasting state.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraAwesomePhoto-2.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	9251  Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraAwesomePhoto-3.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	9252