CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Joe Gasparre

Profile:
Not gaining or increasing.

I've been on the Zone diet since probably July and I enjoy it. I am about 140 pounds and 17 years old. I do Crossfit everyday.The Zone has been good to me so far but I'm starting to notice that I am not gaining any more muscle. Not only that but I am not getting stronger at all. I am maintaining all my times with my WOD's, but not all of them are getting better. Some are actually increasing in time. My lifts aren't getting any better either. I do about a 19 block day. Sometimes I don't have time to eat breakfast so when I come home from school I have a 5-6 block meal which is around 1:20. I usually have a snack a couple of hours later workout and then eat another 5-6 block meal. Then dinner is usually the same. Should I increase my blocks per day? I don't know if this is what's wrong though. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Joe Gasparre : 11-27-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
Re: Not gaining or increasing.

without gettin into the nasty nasty right now... whats your work to rest ratio like? i meen on the microcycle. you say you CF everyday... when do you rest? the major variable in gains, strength or otherwise, is rest! your body needs it! just not too much... just enough to illicit physiological gains.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Joe Gasparre

Profile:

Oh sorry Kevin. What I meant was I follow the WOD everyday. Sorry. I rest up good. I take it easy and eat good on rest days.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Do you take half-volume weeks once a month or every two months? I have heard that as a common prevention for overtraining.

Because you're young, you may be needing a lot more blocks than you're eating. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing when the Zone diet assigns blocks they're tailoring it to the metabolism of a fully-grown adult, not a young male teenager. You are going to need more energy for your weight and body fat percentage than a 40-year-old guy with the same weight and body composition. Try increasing your blocks, just protein and fat if you're worried about the carbs.

There is a reason bodybuilders overload on protein--it absolutely ensures you are getting enough. Tweak your diet for a few weeks and see how you feel.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Kevin McMillan

Profile:

i agree, with the appropriate rest increasing your protein and fat blocks should help. keep in mind tho that some individuals are hard gainers. if after a couple months you still have issues after increasing your blocks, try to add more volume on some cycles followed by a low volume cycle. i do 6 high volume cycles followed by 1 low volume one. when i did that for 4 months and ate like a horse i gained arround 15 lbs solid
Old 11-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Joe Gasparre

Profile:

Oh I see. Yeah I think I'm going to up the Protein and fat blocks. So should I just add any amount of fat and protein or should it still be a 7g block of protien and a 3g block of fat. Or since I'm throwing off the 7/9/3 the ratio no longer matters?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
John Filippini

Profile:

Keep it to block format just to make it easier on yourself. Add an extra 2-3 blocks per meal, 1-2 blocks per snack and see what happens.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
Joe Gasparre

Profile:

Will do. Thanks for the information everyone.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Michael D. Perkins

Profile:

Sorry, gotta chime in. This question has been bothering me all day and the internet was down at work so I've had to wait.

My question is about the blocks and getting lean and then upping your fat blocks. Does that mean you stop "worrying" about how many calories you are getting?

Here is my question because my ramblings below don't make alot of sense to me even when I reread them.

Does that mean you stop "worrying" about how many calories you are getting?

If I'm on 20 blocks now that is around 2000-2500 calories (by my bad estimation but FitDay helps) and I 2x or even 5x my fat blocks that's going to be 40-100 fat blocks per day??? And that is like an extra 1000-2500 calories a day (I think - this is where I lost myself and went to lunch). Let's say I double my fat intake and get 20 blocks of fat just from almonds (for arguments sake). This also adds more protein and carbs and a ton of calories. IS THIS RIGHT???????

I'm having a hard time keeping around 20 or even 25 blocks for more than two days in a row before cravings over take me so I've been toying with adding fat blocks now (before I've gotten "super lean" I'm about 23% now and thought 12% BF would be pretty "nice" for a 36y/o). I think the WODs are kicking my butt and lack of sleep (getting 7 want 9 for sure) isn't helping. Lack of sleep isn't helping my posting either. I'm going home to take a nap right now...
42/M/75"/230lb | DL: 375 | 21k run in VFFs 2:16:54 | Fran: 9:22 | www.crazywifecrossfit.com (w/fs)
Old 11-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

It may not be diet related. If your times/strength are getting worse it sounds like it may be a case of overtraining. I have this problem myself, not resting enough.