CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
Michael Bruno

Profile:
Greetings All,
I just started Cross Fit and thought things were going well and... Hate to be long, but here's the history - any help/advice would be awesome! Right shoulder hurt for a long time. Finally had it looked at in Spring of 05. Ortho said rotator cuff completely torn and SLAP needed repair. So, I had surgery that summer. Went to physical Therapy for about a month and that was it. My shoulder got back to about 90% but I could go no further. What I mean is that pullups, pulldowns, military press, curl - all were ok. But I could not do any dips or pushups or bench or even dumbell press. Every time i tried - even a little, my shoulder would hurt the day after, and it would be tight. Then I started cross fit and thought things were going ok. But last week got a sharp pain in my shoulder that told me - stop. Took the last three days off and my shoulder has started feeling better again - though it kindof goes numb when i stretch it - and I can definately feel the weakness in it. So, here are my thoughts:
1. I have NEVER just stopped lifting, working out, etc, to allow it to heal.
2. I need to stop all activity until it stops hurting.
3. Then, I need to do only rehab shoulder exercises - and not try to do crossfit, lift weights (as I am doing the rehab).

What do you guys think????
Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Ron Haskins

Profile:
In my experience you can still CrossFit "without your shoulder", just use your imagination and focus on other movements.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Ron,

Perhaps your recent training history would be of some use to Michael?

Best,

Jon
Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Michael Bruno

Profile:
Thanks you guys,
I'm gonna let it rest just a bit a stretch, stretch, stretch. Do the exercises from my CrossFit Journal article. In all honesty, I've never seriously approached getting my shoulder 100% - always figured it would get there on its own - just through PT. Figure after a frustrating year and a half, it might be time to attack it and get it better. Appreciate the input and Ron, yeah, I would be interested in your history - maybe I could learn something.

Thanks again,
Michael
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
Ron Haskins

Profile:
Good point Jon.

Mike, I recently had some pretty serious shoulder surgery which has left it unusable for the past 6 weeks. On day 2 following my surgery I began working the rest of my body with squats, 1 armed rowing, 1 armed body rows from a Smith machine, 1 arm pusups on the Smith machine and elliptical, stationary biking, and run walks on the treadmill. After about a week, I began integrating one armed dumbell work such as deadlifts, snatches, cleans and just about any other dumbell move I saw on Coach Rut's dumbell moves cd's.

I anticipate being able to start rehab on the affected arm/shoulder starting tomorrow, and it's amazing how little I have lost as far as full body fitness. I even pr'd my 800m run, 50 situps, and 50 back extensions tonight. One of my favorites was a 1 armed Helen.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Fred Pimental

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Surgery Rehab - Please Help!

Hi Michael - Just doing a search on some shoulder injuries and was curious to see how your recovery went? I may be getting a SLAP lesion repaired in the next month or so.
thx
Fred
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Erin Shay

Profile:

I'm glad to hear all this from you guys also. I'm having surgery done for a torn labrum next month, and i'm really bummed since I just discovered CF about a month ago. Ron, it would be awesome if you could keep us updated on the rehab. I know I'm interested in what works and what doesn't.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
Emil Berengut

Profile:

Michael, SLAP repair rehab is very intricate and takes a lot longer than a month. Heck, even for tissue to heal it takes about 6 weeks. In my experience, it takes at least 4-6 months to get to fully functional and up to 8 months to get to "athletic" functional. The consequences of incomplete rehab can include re-tear, loss of ROM and strength requiring additional surgery. You can certainly continue doing things that don't involve your shoulder, but I recommend you go back to see a PT.