CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Christopher Morris

Profile:
2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Sean Dunston started a thread last year that I enjoyed following through the Games season. I thought I'd do the same for this year's competition.

Here are some rule changes for 2014:
http://games.crossfit.com/article/whats-new-2014 (wfs)

And THIS is what I'm most excited about:
"New Wild Card Spots

Forty-three men and 43 women will be awarded spots to the CrossFit Games at the Regionals—that’s it. Even if a past champion qualifies, additional spots will not open up.

If CrossFit chooses to invite more than 43 athletes, the wild card spots will go to the athletes who performed the best relative to all other Regional competitors. The number of wild card spots will be announced following Regionals."

As Nick Fory is a friend of mine, I'm going to call this the Nick Fory rule.

What are your thoughts on the other changes?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Yay, Chris!
Thanks for taking up the flag on this one.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
Michael Cook

Profile:

I like the new wild card spots.

I like the new Masters Qualifier weekend. That weekend is going to be pretty intense for those guys. I don't like the fact that it is on Easter weekend, though.

One thing I don't like is that scores from people that go to Regionals as individuals can count for Team qualification to regionals. I think they should recalculate Team scores after individuals have accepted invitations to compete at Regionals as individuals.

I hope they do the live workout announcement and showdown like they did last year.

I like the new video submission requirements. Hopefully this will keep people more honest.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
Steven Thunander

Profile:

For our scores to be valid, do we need to BOTH have our open wods videotaped and have it validated by an affiliate owner or Crossfit judge that is present during the WOD? That's how I am interpreting the new rules.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
One thing I don't like is that scores from people that go to Regionals as individuals can count for Team qualification to regionals. I think they should recalculate Team scores after individuals have accepted invitations to compete at Regionals as individuals.
I've been hoping they'd do that for two years, no word yet. I commented on the Games FB announcement about the new rules and out of 100s of comments got the second most likes. I realize that means nothing, but hopefully they saw it and take it into consideration soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
For our scores to be valid, do we need to BOTH have our open wods videotaped and have it validated by an affiliate owner or Crossfit judge that is present during the WOD? That's how I am interpreting the new rules.
If you think you'll make regionals. Otherwise, nothings changed.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Danielle Chollet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
The changes only apply to people hoping to make Regionals. You can still do it all online and have the online judges verify all your workout videos if you can't do the affiliate thing. But yes, if you normally do it at an affiliate, your judge can't just be whoever, it has to be a Crossfit Judge, and you must videotape it.

Last edited by Danielle Chollet : 01-07-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

I like the rule changes...especially for those thinking they will make Regionals as an individual or a team. Makes sense to have them videoed and validated by a proper judge.

Cool to see the Masters weekend as well. I don't think 2014 will be my year due to rehabbing a back injury but maybe next year. Every year it gets harder but last year I was only 41 spots out of the top 200...feel like I would have improved enough without this injury to make it but it is what it is.

Looking forward to the season regardless. Best of luck to everyone
Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Re: Regional athletes must video all open workouts

I've seen some complaints about the burden of doing videos of EVERY workout for EVERY athlete. This complaint really buys into the idea that the Open is for everyone and anyone has a chance to qualify for Regionals.

In reality, most affiliates and athletes know if they are going to qualify. There is a very small percentage of athletes that expect to qualify and would need to video every workout.

The way the rule reads, it looks like they don't have to submit videos unless requested, and if their workout is otherwise verified by an affiliate. The rule says that at least one video will be verified, but the athlete doesn't know which one, so they'll need to have a video of each workout.

It's probably going to happen that an athlete does a smash-up awesome job on four workouts, but has questionable ROM on the one video that gets requested, and they'll be disqualified. The stakes are definitely higher than the self-integrity of past years, and "cheaters" will be weeded out.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #9
Christopher Morris

Profile:

The wildcard rule also says, "Even if a past champion qualifies, additional spots will not open up." Looks like there won't be five men from Central East qualifying this year.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
Alison Krick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post

Still shocked they haven't addressed this yet. After seeing some of the watered down teams at Regionals last year makes me think if they would make it there with out their top scores that went individual.