CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
Jade Jenny

Profile:
Employees vs. Independent Contractors

Can I get some thoughts here?

I'm opening a box, crossing my fingers next month, but it may be a little later. I will be a co-owner of the box. I imagine myself and my partner will be employees of the box. To start that is all there will be, but down the road when the need for additional trainers comes along what do you guys recommend. Do I employ them, or do I bring them in as independent contractors.

Pluses and Minuses to both sides?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Employees vs. Independent Contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jenny View Post
Can I get some thoughts here?

I'm opening a box, crossing my fingers next month, but it may be a little later. I will be a co-owner of the box. I imagine myself and my partner will be employees of the box. To start that is all there will be, but down the road when the need for additional trainers comes along what do you guys recommend. Do I employ them, or do I bring them in as independent contractors.

Pluses and Minuses to both sides?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Talk to your accountant. Whether you can legally treat them as contractors will depend on a number of factors, such as how closely you manage their work. You can't really just decide to make them one or the other.

Katherine