CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Casey Leonard

Profile:
Trainer Compensation at your affiliate...

Ok, this may be a subject that some affiliates owners feel is no ones business...and I respect that. So with that said, anyone who does feel comfortable in discussing this has my appreciation. Im trying to formulate a decent compensation program for trainers at our, soon to be open, affiliate.
In case your wondering, each trainer will be working as an Independent contractor and not as an employee.

My thought was that trainers would receive a certain dollar amount for every member that is present for the group session they instruct. The dollar amounts would increase if they attend additional CF certs and or a Level 2 cert. Each trainer would also determine their own personal training fees, with a small % going back to the affiliate.

Am I on the right track here?
As always, thanks for any feedback you provide!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
Jason Arsenault

Profile:
Re: Trainer Compensation at your affiliate...

I'm in a similar situation. I am a trainer whos going to be working as an independant contractor at the local Crossfit gym. I am trying to figure out a fair deal between myself and the owner as I will be the only independant. Any information received would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Casey Leonard

Profile:

No feedback at all? Not even a **** off response...
Old 06-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Henrik Schou Pedersen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Leonard View Post
No feedback at all? Not even a **** off response...
**** off

Just kidding of course

At our affiliate, all trainers do it for free. We get our certs paid for, but thats about it (also some free bottled water and other small stuff)

I do it mainly because I love teaching people and seeing them get better.

People will do a lot of work when they feel they are part of a family
Old 06-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
John Mc Evoy

Profile:

I'm in a similar situation as mentioned above. I work as a private contractor for an affiliate and also run my own personal training business through it as well.
For the classes I teach I get a set amount of $$ regardless of how many people are in the class.
For my own clients I give the owners 30% of what I charge per session if I bring in the person in but if the owners feed me the client. (like 3 Xfit intros etc) I give them 40%.

Hope this was somewhat helpful to you.

The price you end up getting per class will vary but I think somewhere between 30 and 50$ per class is reasonable.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Kris Murphy

Profile:

We have one trainer who started out as an intern. We pay him $20 for every class he teaches and we also pay him $15/month for every member we have over the 50 member mark. He teaches half of our of On Ramp classes, so this $15/member gives him incentive to do a good job because he makes a bit of money from everyone who becomes and remains a member. Not that he isn't motivated anyway, it's just good to provide a link between business growth and trainer benefits to help keep them interested and provide them personal connection to the success of the business.

He also picks up "make up" sessions from people who miss any of their On Ramp classes. The members pay him $20 directly for each make up session they book with him. I'm kinda surprised how many of those he actually does, and how willing people are to pay the $20 on top of the $150 they already paid for On Ramp.

Oh, I forgot to mention that paid for half of his Level 1 cert as well.

Last edited by Kris Murphy : 06-08-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Conrad Mendoza

Profile:

I pay $20-$25 per class. Significant others train for free. They can also sponsor up to 3 close friends/ family for a deep discount. I wish I could do more but I just opened.

Conrad
CrossFit Ocean View
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
Eric Lester

Profile:

I paid the regular membership fee and coached people without pay for 8 months at my former affiliate. After 8 months I asked them to pay me and they dropped my membership fee and paid me $240 a month (Teaching 4 classes a week).
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Steven Bowser

Profile:

I believe 20 - 25 a class is the going rate. I have a few members who I comp that help out one night a week.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Andrew Bolliger

Profile:

I am interested in this topic as well. We have 3 trainers (not counting owners) and they get a free membership in exchange for teaching 2 classes a week and filling in on special occasions. I am thinking to adding that each additional class earns them $20 for now... I also want to do some sort of incentive to bring in new people and grow the box.