CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Shaune Irving

Profile:
Running a new affiliate

Hi guys,

Well i took the scary step of affiliating out in ipswich qld australia, CrossFit Ipswich is now live and moving through its establishment phase,

WOW so many questions to have answerd, so many things to think about, I guess my first question is, should i advertise i should i let the word spread by itself in the good old word of mouth forum.

Would love to hear from other affiliate owners on their opionion and i guess there way of approaching the new affiliate

Cheers

Shaune
Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Amy Crawford

Profile:
Re: Running a new affiliate

Don't spend any money you don't have to Shaune. That means no advertising. The only advertising we did when we started was a set of magnets for our car. $80, and it brought in many people.

Best of luck!!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Mark Wood

Profile:

Hey Shaune

I've just affiliated down at Tweed Heads so CrossFit Border is up and running!

I've decided to use as much free advertising as possible (Facebook, Total Travel, Hot Frog). That gets plenty of attention as it is. If I find that this isnt working then I may consider paying for an ad.

I am looking at getting some shirts printed, which is great advertising in my opinion!
I would also love to get some car magnets as Amy suggested.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Social media. Get facebook and twitter accounts for your box and post daily. Have a system for every athlete that walks in the door to include waivers, questionnaires, baseline fitness assessment and a three to five minute what-is-crossfit speech. Follow up with your athletes. Ask how they like it and how things are going. Help them articulate their specific goals. Be able to speak well on every aspect of fitness; training, nutrition, recovery, etc. Know the movements, faults and corrections by rote and be able to demonstrate them all.

congratulations!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Great advice Casey!

Also, understand that while it may be beneficial to offer "specials" and discounts to get your membership started, keep in your mind that you need to wean yourself out of that way of thinking at some point.

And...the biggie...have some sort of well structured On Ramp program in place IMMEDIATELY. Start using it now and you'll be able to tweak it as you go. There's nothing worse than getting a year or two into your business and realizing you've done a great disservice to your clients by not properly educating them on form. The more you teach now, the less you'll have to correct later.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Oops, can't believe I forgot that CRITICAL piece. Like Kris said, an on-ramp/basics/fundamentals curriculum is essential. +1 to that.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

Hey Shaune! Congratz on affiliating! Another affiliate in Aus is always a great thing to hear.

I dont run a CF gym but a Krav Maga gym (were taking steps to affiliate as a CF gym in the near future)

Advertising what worked for us was.
Facebook page.
Become as prominent as possible in google searches ect.
Have visible signage.
Get shirts ect going for members to wear.

Also +1 to an on ramp/foundations course. We have a one month course which takes 25 people at a time and has been fully booked for the last 1.5years with no other formal advertising.

Best of luck in the future! Post up some pics of your box when its up and running!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Andrew Craig

Profile:

Echoing some of the others and maybe a few other points flyers and leaflets tend to be a wash out. Go talk to people, rugby teams, netball, hockey, aussie rules etc. You can have the best gym on the planet but if no one knows it's there it's pointless.

Offer different plans i.e 09.30 class for school runs parents just dropped their kids off. half hour sessions around lunchtime to allow folk to get there, workout and get back in their lunchtime.

Personally we are taking the line of repaying loyalty to members. Most gyms will get you in and repay you by never reducing YOUR membership but let some new guy off the street get half price for 6 months. We repay by reduced workshop costs, or free nutrition seminarsd where none members have to pay.

fb, gumtree and request friends of friends of friends on fb. Again the more people that can see all the posting and info the better.

Oh and we have gone for 2 x per week as a minimum. Everyone regardless HAS to go through a 2 week, 6 sessions on ramp. People that are willing to pay and go through the on ramp tend to be the people you want in your gym. Give stuff away free and people free load. Just my experience but i ran for over a year with no on ramp and wasted ALOT of time on free loaders that had no invested interest in the program.