CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Jeff Stanek

Profile:
CrossFit Total.....finally.

I've never been able to complete the CFT before today.

I had never been a proficient squatter/presser/deadlifter before starting SS in October of last year. I watched my numbers climb (because I was so new) up to a certain threshold, and found my body's breaking point. I've never been flexible, and my young adductors, tight hamstrings, poor deadlift form and overzealousness came to bite me. I pulled something in my lower back with a 285# DL that left me hobbling away from the gym. I stopped deadlifting for about a month, and shied away from it until early spring. In the spring my lower back/hamstrings came to bite me in the form of heavy squat cleans leading to a sciatica that had me bedridden for 3 days and out of lifting for 3-4 weeks. The pain of that really got me motivated to hunt out my demons.

Enter Kelly Starrett, and his Mobility/Recovery course that I took in April. Opened my mind to the idea of hamstring/hip flexibility causing my sciatica muscle spasms and how I should be decreasing the total drag on my limbs. I hit the hip flexibility issues big time, began taking yoga (mostly for my hamstrings), and work in stretching and PNF after each workout.

I've began steadily adding weight to my deadlifts, incorporating more back extensions, and focusing MUCH more on technique. I was able to deadlift 315# a couple weeks ago, injury free. I was stoked! When the CFT came up this week, I finally felt I was healthy enough to take it on.

I haven't done a back squat since January, and lifted 275# (tied 1RM, go CrossFit!)
I haven't pressed in a month, and lifted 145# (down 20# from prior 1RM)
With all the back rehab I've been doing, I lifted 325# (a 10# PR!)

So a 745# CFT first! I admit my SP is weak, as I've focused more on HSPU than strict press, but I'm completely happy with my BS and DL!

Just wanted to share my happy rehab CrossFit Total story
Old 07-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Morgan McGaha

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Total.....finally.

Nice job. Keep it up.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
John Stone

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Total.....finally.

Congratulations!