CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Erin Stuart

Profile:
Extreme soreness or something else?

Hi everyone! Last weekend I did 13.2- made it through 5 rounds. I'm relatively new to crossfit so the weight was heavy for me. Needless to say I knew I would be sore for a few days but a week later I'm still not back to normal. The soreness is in both arms in the tricep area. When I was working out during the week the part of the lifts that hurt was the dropping of the weight-catching the wall ball on Thursday was uncomfortable but okay on sat for 13.3. There's no pain when I'm resting or doing most exercises. I've been foam rolling the area and it feels almost like a pinching in the sore spots. Sorry for the ramble but I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced soreness for this long or has any ideas about what I could do to speed the recovery. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Extreme soreness or something else?

If you're new to CrossFit, it may be normal soreness. A couple of times in my life I've been sore for a week from one physical activity (running a marathon, hiking the Grand Canyon).

General tips for soreness: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Work mobility (Google search Kelly Starrett and the part of the body that's sore) and stretch. Eat protein and continue to WOD to build more muscle.

Otherwise, it could be rhabdomyolysis (wfs). With rhabdo the soreness would be increasing over 5-7 days, so hopefully your soreness is decreasing. Is your urine still normal color? If it's dark, get checked by a doctor TODAY. Rhabdo can damage the kidneys and in extreme cases be life-threatening.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Erin Stuart

Profile:

Thanks for the reply! The soreness is not worse- just not better. It feels like a bruise if I press on it but no swelling or visible bruising. I was concerned about rhabado after searching the boards - so far normal urine color so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I'm going to continue the mobility even though the foam rolling hurts! Any advice for workouts? As the pain isn't increasing should I continue as usual?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Christopher Morris

Profile:

As you continue to CrossFit you'll find that soreness is less of a problem. Your body will develop muscle that can better support your workload without getting sore. Once in a while you'll have a really tough day and get sore, but it will happen less often than at the beginning.

Advice for workouts? Keep doing them, but give added effort to mobility and hydration before and after workouts. Mobility hurts so good when you're sore. Hydration is an all-day effort. I wish I could have an IV overnight and hydrate while I'm sleeping too.

I find that when I'm sore I expect the workout is going to suck big time. In reality, once I start the WOD and get moving, I don't think about the soreness at all. So keep up the good work, so long as the pain isn't increasing.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Erin Stuart

Profile:

Thanks again- one question about rhabado if you don't mind (sorry for so many questions!). From what I've read it would hurt all the time and there would be swelling right? Just reading about it scares me so I just wanted to clarify. thanks again
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Questions is what this forum is all about, so no worries.

I haven't had rhabdo myself, but saw it once in another soldier in the Army after a 12 mile ruck march. She was bed ridden and hospitalized. She was so wiped out she had no other option.

Symptoms may vary. Swelling may or may not happen. The core symptom of rhabdo is muscle break-down. This means a lot of protein from the muscle break-down is circulating in the blood stream, and the kidneys are doing their best to filter out that protein and get rid of it in the urine, hence the dark urine and risk of kidney damage.

Here is another thread where two guys who got rhabdo describe their symptoms: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=79886 (wfs, except Joe Gomez's ridiculous avatar)

Just for kicks, also check out: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38220 (wfs)
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Erin Stuart

Profile:

I checked out both threads- thanks for the info! My symptoms don't seem that severe ( no flu like symptoms at all) so hopefully in a few days I'll be back to normal- this lengthy bout just scared me a bit and i am always super wary of injuries. I appreciate all the help!