CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Paul Wing

Profile:
Finding a good baseline

Hi folks,

This is my favourite forum on this board. Probably because it is the one thing that I need the most help with.

Some background. Been doing CrossFit for almost a year now. Saw great improvements the first 8 months, then was injured and since then, its been a real struggle to get back to where I was. Not physically, but energy wise.

Looking at all aspects, I know the weakest link is nutrition. I eat like ****. I don't eat enough. I seem to think that if I eat crap all day, then my last meal before I WOD, I eat something sensible and healthy, that will make a difference. BZZZZZTTT... wrong answer

I WOD once a day, 4 to 5 times per week. Other than that, a pretty sedentary lifestyle. 46 years old.

I've been trying to get as informed as I can. And from what I've seen/heard/read, a good way of get started down the road of proper nutrition is to set a baseline.

I'm 5'10". Weigh anywhere from 150 - 160 - usually in the middle.

I'm thinking a good place to start would be to start a 13 or 14 block zone program. Also, I'm looking to start cutting out sugar and wheat. I've come to realize that I eat way too much sugar (1 tsp per coffee x 6 or 7 coffee per day).

My goal is not necessarily to eat better to get bigger or stronger. I just need to start with an easily measured starting point. I'm hoping that better nutrition will see improvements in my energy levels and that will transfer to my workouts.

In starting down the road to nutritional responsibility, is establishing a baseline a good place to start? Is going from a diet where I pay no attention to what I eat to a diet where I'm tightly controlling my intakes and types of food a good way to start?

They may seem like dumb questions, but I would appreciate any insight you folks might have.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Finding a good baseline

Well, I suppose you might start out tracking what you usually eat in a day and the nutrients you get from that, and then figuring out what your plan of attack will be from there. I'm no nutritionist, but that's how I'd go about doing that or almost any goal. Plus, the more data you have, the better informed you or anybody you are asking for advice will be.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

There's zero chance that 13 blocks is enough for a grown man who trains on a regular basis. If you insist on doing Zone, I'd recommend ~18-19 to start with. Focus on eating quality, unprocessed stuff as much as possible, and if you're having to drink 6-7 cups of coffee to make it through the day you probably need to assess your sleep situation. And you need to stop drinking crappy coffee if you can't drink it without so much sugar.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Paul Wing

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Well, I suppose you might start out tracking what you usually eat in a day and the nutrients you get from that, and then figuring out what your plan of attack will be from there. I'm no nutritionist, but that's how I'd go about doing that or almost any goal. Plus, the more data you have, the better informed you or anybody you are asking for advice will be.
Thanks Jeff. That is certainly what I was thinking when I first started down this path. But the way I look at it is, I know what I eat/how I eat today is not sustainable. In no way it is a good foundation to build upon. I'm looking to start new with an approach that will give me the results I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
There's zero chance that 13 blocks is enough for a grown man who trains on a regular basis. If you insist on doing Zone, I'd recommend ~18-19 to start with. Focus on eating quality, unprocessed stuff as much as possible, and if you're having to drink 6-7 cups of coffee to make it through the day you probably need to assess your sleep situation. And you need to stop drinking crappy coffee if you can't drink it without so much sugar.
Thanks Eric. I was only basing that number on what I thought was my Lean Body Mass. Sadly, 13 or 14 blocks would be a drastic increase from what my intake is today. By no means am I married to zone. I was just thinking that this would be a somewhat simple way to establish a baseline, then be able to adjust accordingly based on results. Do you think it might make more sense to take a different approach? Believe me, I'm all ears...

(PS. no crappy coffee here. It's Dutch and I have to drive half way across the damn city to stock up. Just a stupid habit putting all that sugar in it...)
Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wing View Post
Thanks Jeff. That is certainly what I was thinking when I first started down this path. But the way I look at it is, I know what I eat/how I eat today is not sustainable. In no way it is a good foundation to build upon. I'm looking to start new with an approach that will give me the results I'm looking for.
You may know that it is not sustainable, but tracking and figuring out nutrients will tell you WHY it's unsustainable and specifically WHERE you need to make improvements. It's always better to know than to just wing it.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

How many calories per day are you currently eating? 13 blocks is only somewhere between ~1300-1600 calories depending on how many "extra" calories you've got in there.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Paul Wing

Profile:

Thanks again guys...

A quick calculation over the past couple days (which is pretty typical) shows an average of 1430 calories.

myfitnesspal details it at 13% protein, 48% fat, 39% carb.

brutal...

Should I be looking at a higher calorie intake and target those numbers to be more inline with 40/30/30?

Again. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wing View Post
Thanks again guys...

A quick calculation over the past couple days (which is pretty typical) shows an average of 1430 calories.

myfitnesspal details it at 13% protein, 48% fat, 39% carb.

brutal...

Should I be looking at a higher calorie intake and target those numbers to be more inline with 40/30/30?

Again. Any help is much appreciated.
I don't know what kind of help you need from us. You pretty much have answered your own question. 1430 calories is rediculously low and you know it (I'm pretty sure your maintenance is around 2150 calories). 13% protein is too low. You are eating like a 100# anorexic female. Start with about 2100 calories and see how you feel. Cut out as much junk as you can and replace it with real food.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Paul Wing

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I don't know what kind of help you need from us. You pretty much have answered your own question. 1430 calories is rediculously low and you know it (I'm pretty sure your maintenance is around 2150 calories). 13% protein is too low. You are eating like a 100# anorexic female. Start with about 2100 calories and see how you feel. Cut out as much junk as you can and replace it with real food.
Yeah. That calculation sure showed where the deficiencies were.

So if I use 2100 calories as a starting point, should I be using the 40/30/30 approach? 40% of my calories should be protein, 30% should be carbs and 30% fat?

Also, how did you come up with that calculation of 2100 calories?

Thanks!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Sara Ochsner

Profile:

When I started a Zone/Paleo diet I made my plate and forced myself to eat it, it is a lot of food. Now I eat my plate and add another handful of veggies. Choose foods with higher quantities within a block. Here are the references I use http://www.hardexerciseworks.com/wp-...oads/NuFit.pdf WFS, http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ue21_May04.pdf wfs

For you I would suggest 17-19 blocks.

Last edited by Sara Ochsner; 01-23-2013 at 11:01 PM..