CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Vince Mannella

Profile:
Opinions on my training and goals

Hey all I am looking for people who are more in the know than me to give me their opinions on m training and how it relates to my goals.

GOAL - To get leaner in the belly-area, to get better at my running, and to continue to build strength.

Workouts:
Right now I do my own program. I will start my workout with a strength component (ie bench, squat, dead lift, front squat, press, weighted pull up, ect) 3x5 or 5x5. I will then do a short/heavy metcon from the list in that thread. Generally under 10 minutes.
The next day I will run. Either 2 miles for time, 1.5 miles for time, or interval training.

I will do those one day weight one day running with one day off per week.

Eating - I eat as healthy as I can. Generally lean meats (steak, chicken, pork, fish) and vegetables. No rice, little grains, little sugar aside from fruit. I have been eating better (cut out rice, potatoes, heavy bread, ect a few weeks ago) and noticed I have improved my bench weight by 5# this week, and lost some belly fat. Also dropped 5# but weight is NOT IMPORTANT TO ME. I am concerned with composition.

Critique away please and thanks for all of your help and suggestions.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: Opinions on my training and goals

IMHO your programming is probably fine for your goals. We would probably need to see numbers and recent progress before offering more suggestions.

Belly fat is all about diet. The leaner you get, the more strict you have to be to continue progressing.

Think about moving 50% of carbs to post workout, cutting grains completely, stuff like that. It may help to use FitDay or the like to really track your intake to make smarter adjustments.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Joseph Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Mannella View Post
Hey all I am looking for people who are more in the know than me to give me their opinions on m training and how it relates to my goals.

GOAL - To get leaner in the belly-area, to get better at my running, and to continue to build strength.

Workouts:
Right now I do my own program. I will start my workout with a strength component (ie bench, squat, dead lift, front squat, press, weighted pull up, ect) 3x5 or 5x5. I will then do a short/heavy metcon from the list in that thread. Generally under 10 minutes.
The next day I will run. Either 2 miles for time, 1.5 miles for time, or interval training.

I will do those one day weight one day running with one day off per week.

Eating - I eat as healthy as I can. Generally lean meats (steak, chicken, pork, fish) and vegetables. No rice, little grains, little sugar aside from fruit. I have been eating better (cut out rice, potatoes, heavy bread, ect a few weeks ago) and noticed I have improved my bench weight by 5# this week, and lost some belly fat. Also dropped 5# but weight is NOT IMPORTANT TO ME. I am concerned with composition.

Critique away please and thanks for all of your help and suggestions.
Hey, your programming looks solid to me. A lot of people are gonna ask: how much are you eating? I think this is an important question.

Also, in regards to your programming, I'd suggest you take 2 days off each week, and instead of doing 1.5m or intervals or 2milers, hit up sprints on your running days. Either 100mx8 or 400mx5 @ a little above your 5k pace. I also think programming death by 10 meters some days is a good idea, too. That's how I would change my running days if I were you.

You mentioned you start your workout with a strength component before your metcons. Can you be a little more specific as to how your worksets look? I know your rep-scheme, but what % of your maxes are you working at? Also, do you structure your strength component per. week--for instance, are you trying to progress linearly in exercises like bench and squat, by programming them once, or twice per week on certain days?

Edit: Do you play any sports? This doesn't get mentioned a lot on the fitness boards, but playing sports can be an excellent source of conditioning and entertainment. I play collegiate soccer, but I also love going out and playing basketball at the university gym. Both sports are one heck of a cardio-workout.

Last edited by Joseph Nichols; 02-10-2011 at 09:52 AM..
Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Vince Mannella

Profile:

No sports right now. Don't have the time unfortunatly.

I try to hit all the major lifts before going back to one. So I'll do bench, squat, dead lift, press, power clean, and weighted pull ups. I'll also do variants of those such as front squat, hang clean, ect.

I use enough weight that I can get 3 reps done without needing a spotter (work out alone). My max last time on the bench was 235# and for a 5x3 I am using 210#.

For the running I am trying to run distances that are practical for work related issues. I need to pass yearly run/strength testing and the runs are 1.5mi. To qualify for any "special" duties I would need to run 2mi in under 13:00. I can't get below 14:30 in that one no matter how hard I try.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
For the running I am trying to run distances that are practical for work related issues. I need to pass yearly run/strength testing and the runs are 1.5mi. To qualify for any "special" duties I would need to run 2mi in under 13:00. I can't get below 14:30 in that one no matter how hard I try.
Intervals are likely to help your speed more than simply running 2 miles will.

Katherine
Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Joseph Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
No sports right now. Don't have the time unfortunatly.

I try to hit all the major lifts before going back to one. So I'll do bench, squat, dead lift, press, power clean, and weighted pull ups. I'll also do variants of those such as front squat, hang clean, ect.

I use enough weight that I can get 3 reps done without needing a spotter (work out alone). My max last time on the bench was 235# and for a 5x3 I am using 210#.

Okay - I understand why you're programming 2 milers, because you want your 2 miler times to improve. However, running short distances at a higher speed in sets with rest in between is a more effective way of attaining your desired goal--considering you are only being tested on a couple miles. Refer to my suggestion above. Again, I'm no expert on the matter, but this is what works for me:
If I'm trying to improve my distance running, or my 5k, I'll do 400m/100m runs.
I program my runs, let's say 400mx6, with 5 mins rest in between @80% of my 1 mile PR, or a little faster than my 5k pace. Your body is going to get used to running at a faster pace, and eventually you'll be able to keep up that pace over a longer duration.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
To qualify for any "special" duties I would need to run 2mi in under 13:00. I can't get below 14:30 in that one no matter how hard I try.
So... this is going to fly in the face of what almost everyone on the CF boards says, but it relates my personal experience with improving run times.

run longer distances. Do your intervals, hill sprints, time trials and all that too, but run longer than 2mi. It worked for me.

My 5k has always been stuck around a 8:00 - 8:30 pace. When I signed up for a half-marathon (mostly because I suck at running and wanted to change that) I finally started running further. Not much mind you, I did a TOTAL of 30 miles of training before the half-marathon. Longest training run was 9.5 miles.

About a month after the half I did a 2.5 mile run at a 7:15 pace! And I didn't feel like I was pushing any harder than before. My times at all distances are improving dramatically. I think the longer distances provide economy of stride, improved breathing pattern, mental toughness, and probably some cellular-level changes that are quite invisible.

I am planning to run the Mount Lemmon marathon (6000' of elevation gain) in october, and thus have started running more. my goals are much like yours... improve running, continue improving strength, keep my shorter-term metcon. I am doing something not so different from what you describe, 4 days per week. Basically, I am following the crossfit football strength template (amateur) for strength, and then doing either a WOD or a running workout. two days I do a short WOD (5-15 minutes), the other two days I run.

The first run day is either a "short" run (less than 3 miles) or intervals (4x400, 3x800, ect). The 2nd run day is a "long" run (at least 3 miles), with every other week being at least 5 miles. for the purpose of the marathon training, I'm also doing a monthly LSD run... adding a couple miles every month.

So far it's working nicely... run times are improving across the board, strength levels are good, metcon is good (WODs with running feel a LOT easier!), recovery has been no problem. I run mostly on trails, which alleviates boredom and reduces wear and tear on the body (I've always had a problem with shinsplints... trails=no shinsplints).
Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Vince Mannella

Profile:

Thanks for the great advice so far guys. That is why I love this board. I am glad to hear that my programming isn't completely horrible.

I will try the more intense intervals and also a longer run as well.

I thought that intervals was a good way to burn more fat off as well...which, right now, is one of my main goals....burn the fat and get toned....then get bigger with more muscle mass.