CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-11-2004, 12:18 PM   #21
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

Gents,

You are forgetting the CF Pyramid.

Nutrition, GPP, and Sport

CF does not replace specialization; it is the foundation of it. CF has never espoused avoiding sport specific training. The idea is to get the base fitness, then train the skills on top of that.

Take a look at Oct 2002 and Feb 2003 CF Journals.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:28 PM   #22
Paul Brewer-Jensen

Profile:  
If CF is designed to maximize GPP for other sport specializations then maybe there is no ideal body type for CF. The particular sport specialization would dictate the ideal. No? Maybe competing against oneself should be the only competition in CF instead of trying to compare ourselves to others. What do you all think?

Paul
Old 12-13-2004, 04:04 PM   #23
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
Same thoughts here as Mr Brewer-Jensen. No ideal body type. For example I am heavier but not as tall, 5'10" 255 when I started in Oct now down to 242. I was stronger in powerlifts and heavy core lifts (squats, bench, deads), but not so in endurance bouts. So on WODs that call for what I was specific in I'd score higher than my lighter colleagues (170-190). But on endurance days they'd fair better. Over time and we may end up with both areas being improved, and our weaknesses improve into strengths. Whether I am less than 200 or not, when balance happens, it doesn't matter to me if my weaknesses are up to par with my strengths.

Then comes fine tuning through SPP and tested through sport. This is as much as I understand.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:27 PM   #24
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Paul,

I really agree with you. My experience has been that some things I excell at with my tiny 5 foot tall body, other things I am handicapped by it. But crossfit tends to mix things up so that they all come out in the wash. I tend to compete with others for fun but compete with myself when trying to improve my scores and weak spots.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:40 PM   #25
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
I've been enjoying reading these messages. I am convinced that you are all missing the boat. While Greg A, David L, Josh E, and Reed are getting great times, they are far from the ideal Crossfit body type. I think Lani and Eva get the prize:-)
Old 12-13-2004, 07:26 PM   #26
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Anybody remember the old ABC "Superstars" competitions? And how Kyle Rote, an unknown from the fledgling U.S. pro soccer league, came from nowhere to win the competitions three times? Bob Seagren - pole vault - won the first competition. Renaldo Nehimiah - hurdles - won 4 times.

The events in 1974 were:
Tennis, Golf, Swimming, Weight Lifting, Bowling, 100 Yard Dash, Half Mile Run, Bike Race, Baseball Hit, Obstacle Course. O.J. Simpson won the 100 Yard Dash. Ard Schenk - speed skating - absolutely crushed the competition in the bike race. Rote won the Tennis, Swimming and Bowling events and came in second in the bike race.

Some suprising finishes over the years:
Lou Ferrigno did very well in the half-mile and one-mile bicycle races, beating Rote in both.
Brian Oldfield (shot put) beat Lou Ferrigno in weight lifting. He also finished second in the 100 yard dash, behind Lynn Swann (football)
Steve Garvey (baseball, first base) ran a respectible 10.74 100 yard dash.
Wayne Grimditch (water skiing) won in 1978.
Dwight Stones - high jump - did well in a variety of events over the years including swimming, obstacle course, half mile, and tennis.
O.J. Simpson ran the 100 yard dash in 9.69 on asphalt in tennis shoes.
Jody Schecter (auto racing!) won the 1981 Worlds over hurdlers Nehimiah and Edwin Moses and others.
Declan Burns (kayaking) set the Superstars record of 55 chinups.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:25 PM   #27
Tim Johnson

Profile:
We've seen the perfect body type already!

It's Annie, from the pull up video.

Short, small-framed, light, medium length torso and arms and legs
Old 12-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #28
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Can vertical jump over 3x her body length, super-human power to body weight ratios, never fatigues, recovers in seconds, VO2 max sky high, can synthesize her own vitamin c, strict paleo diet...

Athena has the perfect Crossfit body type!
Old 12-14-2004, 05:05 PM   #29
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
^^^ :rofl:

BFHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 12-15-2004, 11:02 AM   #30
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Lincoln stirred some grest memories of The Superstars!
I always pulled for the professional bowlers, but they never won!!!
Brad's description of Athena sounds like my 3 and 5 y-o kids!!
Maybe they're the perfect CF type.