CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Chris Witkowski

Profile:
Help me Help my Wife

I was discussing with my wife that I wanted to run a 5k race on August 8, 2009 and she said Ok I want to do it with you. First I was ecstatic, second I was thinking what kind of schedule to put her on. She asked me to help her. The last time I tried to get her to do CrossFit, it failed. She hated it. She seems to like running though. So starting tomorrow, what kind of schedule should I put her on. She's about 5'5" 150 lbs and has not ran in a long long time. So basically I'm starting from scratch. Please help. I think if I can get her to run this, I might have another chance to introduce CrossFit. While I'm waiting for answers I'm gonna try to figure it out on my own. Thanks.

Last edited by Chris Witkowski : 05-01-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Chris Witkowski

Profile:
Re: Help me Help my Wife

Well like I said I did some researching and found this 5k schedule. I'll give this a try. Any suggestions will still be accepted. Thanks.

http://running.about.com/od/getstart...getstarted.htm (WFS)
Old 05-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

The above is probably the best thing in this case. You may google "couch to 5k programs" and you will probably get similar routines.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Chris;

Dude, you are on shaky ground and if you want to continue to have happiness and sex, suggest you look at her reasoning on wanting to run.

At 5'5" and 150, I'm thinking a great DL'er, Squatter or Shot Putter, nothing wrong with a kick a-s strong female, alot wrong with a dumpy fat female(or guy for that matte).

Running is hard on joints, not the best exercise to get fit or lose weight, CF is or variation of.

1. Consider working on diet first
2. Strength second
3. Head to Park or track, take a 5' PVC pipe. Walk jog 400 meters, do 15 OHS, repeat 5 times, call it a day. This is a classic Dan John excersise.
4. Head to Park or track, repeat above, but sub in Push Ups.

Just running is lame, she'll get tired, bored, sore and cranky, but if you can tie in some strength work, really get the diet nailed down, trust me, she'll be buying new clothes, looking strong, feeling strong and you'll be one happy, satisfied camper.

5K is not a bad distance, but it's amazing how many out of shape people show up, walk or slog the event, then feel some type of accomplishment as it relates to fitness.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #5
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Hey Chris,

I've been watching the boards for a while, obviously Jay Cohen knows alot more then me about exercise.... but it sounds to me like you are after advice with the "ladies". :stir:

What he describes as a good programme for your missus sounds alot like Crossfit. Which we already established she hates. So get her into the running. Trying to get her to do Crossfit again will be a breach of trust thing for her, or something. Bad advice for getting on with "the ladies". In particular your lady.

I know nothing about running, but obviously if she hated Crossfit get her on a good running programme. Maybe Crossfit will come later, maybe not, but at least she may have developed a solid exercise programme by then, which is a hell of a lot better then nothing.

Good luck man.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

One word: intervals. Get her doing 10x100m intervals with 1 min break between.

One tip: shoes. Make sure she doesn't get shin splints. That's a lot of weight coming down on some very small joints. If she gets shin splints, it's game over. I run in VFFs.

Pick up a copy of The Zone. There is a whole chapter on performance athletes in there.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:04 AM   #7
Chris Witkowski

Profile:

Intersting psychological twist. There definitely is more behind the scenes. I have the zone and she read it. She liked it for about 2 months before chucking it. This was back went I started her on the "beginner CrossFit WO."

Jay, she did get sore and that is why she quit/hated it. "Easing in" is tough because she quits easily before we get anything started. Many books, videos, diet programs, equipment etc. She's a tough one to keep motivated unless she's playing vollyball or dancing.

Thanks for the suggestions. It did open my eyes to a different way to proceed. As for why she wants to run the 5K with me, I don't know. But I'll get back to you. I'm curious now.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #8
Graeme Marshall

Profile:

try a run/walk program, the physio people @ work have people who have had injuries that stop them from running doing this on the 'return to run' program they use, i think it is a run 100m walk 100m for the first few session at a comfortable pace, then over time increasing the run portion till they are doing 3 to 5km at a reasonable pace without having to walk, then they are normally cleared to run with no restrictions.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
Brittany Warren

Profile:

There's a runner by the name of Jeff Galloway who advocates this whole "run/walk" method for getting everyone -- even couch potatoes -- up, running, and completing a marathon.

I used to hate to run -- HATE it, with an almighty passion surpassing all things. Then I needed to cut weight for rowing, and I had to run. A friend of mine got me hooked on his program. The basic gist is to alternate bouts of running with walking, in 5 minute increments. I used to run 4 minutes, walk 1, and do that until I'd reached my distance or time goal.

Beginners will probably need to walk more than they run -- maybe 1 minute of running with 4 minutes of walking, then 2 minutes of running with 3 minutes of walking, etc -- but the progression works. It actually works fairly quickly too, at least in my experience.

If she wants to lose weight though, diet is the key. What was her reason for hating the Zone?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Witkowski View Post

She's a tough one to keep motivated unless she's playing vollyball or dancing.
Any way to tap into this to keep her motivated? Some kind of compromise? For example, offer to take dancing lessons or enter a 2 on 2 volleyball tournament or something if she completes a cycle of a running program.

Last edited by John Casey : 05-04-2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: fix quote