CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-28-2003, 10:32 AM   #1
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

i had a question on if it is better to lift as much weight as you can safely and go slow( still push youself) or is it better to use a weight you are more comfortable with and really slam through the workouts. involving the WOD for MON and WED (both were c&j sets of 15-12-9) on monday i c&j 105 pounds but had to break the sets into smaller sets and it took me around 34 min. on wednesday i c&j 90 pounds still had to break up the sets but not as much, and i finished in 16 min 34 sec. so to cut to the chase, which was better(after both i felt about the same, like i had been eaten by a wolf pack and **** over a cliff.) or is it better to change it up like that depending on how you feel the day of the lift. thanks

shane
Old 05-28-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Shane,

This is a great question.

In the February CrossFit Journal (if you don't subcribe yet, do it now) coach said, "Ideally the first round is hard but possible, whereas the second and subsequent rounds will require pacing, rest, and breaking the task up into manageable
efforts. If the second round can be completed without trouble the elements are too easy."

So, breaking up the WOD into smaller sets seems to the way to go, but I'm curious what others think. I would always side on safety first.

Jon
Old 07-04-2003, 12:11 PM   #3
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Sometimes the WOD prescribes a specific weight or bodyweight for a set number of reps in an exercise. How do we modify it if we are not yet at that fitness level. Do we do the same weight less reps or same reps less weight? What about changes in rest time or number of sets? (please copy me at Halbmike@aol.com on your replies Thanks)
Old 07-04-2003, 12:58 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Michael-

In general I would say go for the prescribed reps. The reasoning for this lies in the various metabolic pathways being trained which are very time and effort dependant. If you are called to move a weight 15x's this would likely start producing some serious lactate and would be very CV taxing. If one can move the same weight only 2x'x it completely alters the stimulus of the WOD. This is similar to the question of how to substitute an exercise like the C2 rower. For most folks anything under 1:50 for 500m is moving pretty well so running, punching, biking for a similar time will help maintain the objectives of the WOD.

I hope this helps
Robb