CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
is there a subtle difference that i'm missing? it seems if you think of a clean as a "squat" clean, it may help execute proper form, but i can't see a difference in the video examples.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
There is no difference. Clean=squat clean.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
Aimee Anaya

Profile:
Lynne is correct- there is no difference between a clean and a squat clean, just two different names. there are two variations of a clean, however... a power clean (http://www.cathletics.com/resources/exercises/index.php?show=exercise&sectionID= 2&exerciseID=67) and a clean (or as you said a squat clean) (http://www.cathletics.com/resources/exercises/index.php?show=exercise&sectionID= 2&exerciseID=59).
Aa Coach B would say, a clean is simply a missed power clean...

(Message edited by aimee on August 31, 2006)
Old 08-31-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
AH! lynne answered my question and aimee provided a few additional questions.

power clean vs squat clean is the issue i now realize i had during and after yesterday's wod. after the WOD and re-watching the crossfit video examples for clean and squat clean, i decided i wasn't squatting deeply enough. i also thought all those cleans i did in years past might have been incorrect because i wasn't squatting deeply enough. it now appears what i did yesterday, and what i used to do years ago, were power cleans.

1) is this simply crossfit terminology, or are the two lifts recognized separately (power clean vs clean or squat clean)?

2) if a clean/squat clean would be considered a "missed" power clean, when we see a WOD with "clean" should we be performing power cleans, or should we be performing squat cleans to incorporate the deeper squat as part of the workout, or does it matter?

3) if it matters, it's seems that 'clean' is ambiguous and we should specifically use squat clean or power clean for our training purposes, doesn't it?

4) am i waaayyyy over thinking this? i had a great workout either way and believe that cleans, et al, are one of the greatest power building exercises ever developed.

thanks in advance for you additional input!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:23 AM   #5

Profile:

1) no. power clean and clean are universal terms.

2) if you have a singles clean workout, you should be attempting to clean a load that you cannot power clean (at least eventually).

3) clean is not ambiguous - squat clean is redundant.

4) maybe. but now you're squared away. at least on those terms.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
thanks again to all for the help. one of the many things that has impressed me about crossfit during these first few days has been the knowledge base i can rely on here in the forums.

greg, that's crystal clear. i would have continued doing power cleans instead of cleans and now realize i have never actually performed a real clean. i also now realize i need to work on my technique to become more comfortable with a deeper squat to clean heavier loads than those possible with a power clean.