CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Ryan Helbling

Profile:
Private Crossfit Gym Ideas

Has anyone here setup a Private gym for themselves and some friends? I'm not talking a garage gym that one person owns and friends use. I was thinking that if a group of say 10-15 people got together and decided they wanted to put a gym together for their private use, it could be done relatively inexpensively. Maybe rent some inexpensive warehouse space, or something like that. Maybe those people each kick in $1k up front to get the needed equipment (or people can bring anything they already own). Then from there they collectively split any rent needed for the space (maybe $100 a month each?). I know you could just go to an affiliate, but what if you don't have one near you? It may cause issues if someone wants out, then they have to be bought out, or get someone to replace them. I'm sure there could be other issues as well. But you could have a very nice semi-private gym that would be outfitted much better for much less money than trying to outfit your own garage gym. Has anyone done something like this? Pros vs. Cons? Ideas?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Private Crossfit Gym Ideas

I'd be in on it for sure. I vote that it's in Perth, Australia.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

contractual agreement required. If you leave, what happens to stuff/money invested, etc.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
contractual agreement required. If you leave, what happens to stuff/money invested, etc.
This. Especially if it's with friends. If someone wants to leave, that could get ugly and ruin a friendship real quick. What happens if one of them loses their job and can't afford to make their part of the rent anymore? I wouldn't do it unless you yourself can afford to pay for the space all by yourself, just in case something happens.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Ryan Helbling

Profile:

Yeah, I agree that there would have to be some type of written agreement on what happens in any situation that might arise. I co-owned a boat with a friend for a long time, and we typed up an agreement that we would refer to if we couldn't come to an agreement on how to handle something. Thankfully we never needed to refer to it. Same thing would have to go with the gym idea.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Androsian View Post
This. Especially if it's with friends. If someone wants to leave, that could get ugly and ruin a friendship real quick. What happens if one of them loses their job and can't afford to make their part of the rent anymore? I wouldn't do it unless you yourself can afford to pay for the space all by yourself, just in case something happens.
For fair use as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Ryan Helbling

Profile:

David, what do you mean by "fair use"?

I think that anyone paying bills gets a set of keys. They can use it whenever they feel like it. Hopefully everyone would try to coordinate times to do group workouts. In the agreement, you'd have to detail how it would work if people wanted to bring "outside" friends (how many and how often). Nobody can give their keys to an "outsider" to use the gym if the owner of the keys is not going to be present.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Mike Hollister

Profile:

Sounds like about 4 months of "awesome" followed by broken relationships and he said/she said.

If there are 15 people, someone should just start an affiliate. That person can charge money up front for a year's membership to get all the equipment. Rent a storage locker to start with. There are ways to do this on the cheap. Probably don't want officially affiliate until you're ready to pay that bill.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Jon Campbell

Profile:

I think it's a pretty good idea as long as everything was spelled out in writing before hand.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Matt Vorwald

Profile:

I've actually looked at doing this in the Fort Myers, FL area. One great benefit would be 24/7 access to the equipment. What we figured was up to $40K for initial investment and 2 years operation expenses would mean a $2,000 buy in for what we call 20 "equity members". If space then allows, we would open the gym to "social members" at the typical $100/mo to cover ongoing operation costs. Ultimately, the "equity members" would never have to pay another dime above the initial $2000 if managed properly. We also really disliked the idea of paying any affiliation fee for simply using the Crossfit name. We would market our gym as "crosstraining" -- which is a non-infringing popular term, and never mention CF in ads, explanation to customers, etc. We would call it "Sweat Equity SWFL" based on the type of membership we were hoping to attract -- cost-conscious, experienced fitness enthusiasts who don't want to pay ongoing membership fees, but also don't have the money (or space) to fully deck out a gym of their own, and still want the social aspect and accountability a regular box provides.

Matt

Last edited by Matt Vorwald : 02-15-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: add quantity of members