CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
John Hoffner

Profile:
Camp Leatherneck Fitness Throwdown

THis weekend we've got a competition out here at CrossFit Leatherneck, Helmand Afghanistan. Two afternoons, 4 total WODs, to see who can tough it out to claim the titles of fittest mand and woman on Camps Leatherneck and Bastion.

Open to all, of course, you've got to be deployed to the middle of no where...

Sorry about the late notice, but wanted to put it out here as well as thank our sponsors, Life as RX, the USO and MCCS for providing awards and prizes.

best of luck to all the competitors!

Link is W/F/S. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aKfEbj8DRk...LYER%2BNEW.JPG
Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Greg Mulligan

Profile:
Re: Camp Leatherneck Fitness Throwdown

Hey John,

Could you update us with the results from this "Throwdown?" and what WODs you choose?

How many active crossfitters do you have on Camp Leatherneck?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I've asked about the events and he's playing it very close.

John: Best of luck brother! Have a great time running the competition and send me the WODs when they're ready for release.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
John Hoffner

Profile:

Well, since you asked...
WOD #1= 5k SWIM
WOD #2=Max Bosu Ball squats while juggling MREs
WOD #3...

Seriously, we'll put them on our blog tomorrow right before the competition. We've got ~100 CrossFitters who're on our email distro locally here, everyone's shifts and locations vary so the WODs are loosely organized. Despite the BS we hear at time from certain 'leaders' we all have full time jobs, and I get chow to go and eat at my desk so I can zip out for PT and coaching mid day. So coaching is a luxury we provide as best we can so that we can maintain standards and teach the basics, even while deployed.

Tomorrow's events have 79 males and 13 males, and we're leaving it wide open to anyone that shows up, with a cap of 100 males for sanity. The top 50 males/30 females move to WOD #2 and the top 50% of that move the day 2. Day two WODs will be harder and require more technique, since the field has been mowed a bit form those just here for the t-shirt. We have not decided how many from WOD #3 will move to the final WOD, but I think it'll probably the Top 10 from WODs 1-3.

Regional Command (Southwest)/ I MEF (Fwd) PAO will be covering the event, I'll push out the video/pics I can get from them asap. They're floowing the training of three differing athletes, som who're vying for the Home depot Center this summer, some who never heard of CrossFit. Should be quite interesting to us at the very least. The reporter is training with us, so if its a hatchet job I'm gonna crush his soul.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Man, that looks awesome. It's exciting you guys have that much attendance overseas. We didn't have anything near as awesome when I deployed in 2005, most of our guys came back bigger after the deployments, and not in a good way!

Keep up the great work!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
John Hoffner

Profile:

It was a great series of events, we had a lot of fun.
the results:
1st Place Male:
Capt Miguel Toledano
1st Place Female:
Capt Emma Wood
2nd Place Male:
Capt Daniel Austin
2nd Place Female:
1stLt Hannah Feuerstein
3rd Place Male:
Sgt Dale Greig
3rd Place Female:
Capt Lindsay Johnson
That was a great way to spend our very rare and precious free time. Many thanks to the judges, the timers, the score keepers, the audio support, the traffic control, those who set up tables, move pull up bars, soccer goals, sandbags, tires barbells, those who brought chow--thank you all. Your volunteerism made the event. Fine efforts were put out by all competitors. The volunteers and the indomitable spirit of every athlete through all events made me quite proud to be here with you all.
Finally thanks to our sponsors, MCCS, the USO and Life as RX.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Wow! Only one enlisted in the top 3! More PT must commence!
Seriously though, impressive none the less. Few of the officers I worked for in my active duty time would have been able to pull that off, but I credit that more to the serious love of PT my fellow enlisted Marines had.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Congrats on the event! Sounds like it was a good time!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Jake Dent

Profile:

I was a competitor in the throwdown, it was A LOT of fun. I think the WOD's were great- I know it was probably difficult to come up with workouts that would work for so many people, with what little gear we have. Coaches and judges were fair, but tough- all in all it was a great experience, even if it was windy and rainy and miserable on day 2!
I really got a kick out of a couple body builder types that were all upset...hilarious...
I'd also like to point out (correct me if I'm wrong Capt H) that at least 5 out of the 6 top finishers are regulars at CrossfitLeatherneck... shows you the programming is working IMO.

My only gripe is that I think the scoring should have been cumulative rather than a sudden death type event for the 4th exercise. It was sort of like a basketball game being 100-80 with 30 seconds left and saying "next point wins".
I don't mean to be nitpicky or anything, and am very grateful for all the hard work put forth by the coaches and volunteers!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
John Hoffner

Profile:

Kumite vs Cumulative scoring, we went back and forth on this.
Your cumulative day 1 score got you to day two. WOD 3 decided who went to the final and the final WOD decided victory. There were very compelling arguments for both types of scoring. You can be fighting for the UFC strap and get your a$$ handed to you until round five and tap out or knockout the champ--you win. Surviving each round is enough to get you the opportunity for that knockout/tapout. We tried to make it a combination of cumulative vs 'Kumite' (no I can't let go of the Bloodsport Van Dam reference) scoring by having your cumulative rank from day one and the earn your way to the top of day two.
We also had to do a lot of this while working 12-15 hour days, training ourselves, etc. No excuses but the time we were able to commit to this was less than I would have wished. I was quite pleased with how it turned out, all things considered and I'm glad you had a good time. I've gotten lots of kind words about it so far, along with questions about cumulative scoring, but past is past--keep training hard. And if you're sticking aorund help ensure next year there is another Throwdown on Leatherneck!
Since I'm a complete geek I crunched the data of who would have won and how all would have place if we'd continued cumulative scoring on day two. Dead last was stilll dead effing last and the #1 was still the #1.