CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Is CrossFit mainstream enough to just tell people you "do CrossFit"?

Hypothetical question: So I'm was in a circle of fairly fit people at my job and everyone is talking about what they did to stay in shape. We have a bodybuilder, a powerlifter, a Yoga instructor, a runner, a football player. Is CF Mainstream enough now that I could just say "I do CrossFit"? I know some people have seen it on ESPN, so it's a maybe. Have you mentioned it in that manner to a friend and they at least had a vague understanding of what you did to stay in shape?

(X-posted to reddit.crossfit.com)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Andrew Joseph

Profile:
Re: Is CrossFit mainstream enough to just tell people you "do CrossFit"?

People who are athletes and gym rats seem to know about it already. Most other people confuse it with the more general concept of "cross training".
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I would get, "What is that?" quite a bit. I don't really talk about it a lot like I used to, though. Plus, less people ask. Some guys asked me if what I do was like what they saw on ESPN... I just shrugged and replied, "Sure, just less volume and I am not nearly as good."
Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Paul Victor French

Profile:

I'm a personal trainer at a gym, and while I don't call myself a crossfitter, whenever I do mention it people with decent working out experience all seem to know about it. How much they know about it I don't know.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Philippe Barraud

Profile:

Not sure if that is really an answer to your question more than a personal reflexion.

I would answer no but not because it isn't mainstream enough.

For people who don't know crossfit, you don't answer their question.

For people like me who know crossfit, you wouldn't really answer my question either. With all the strenght/endurance variation out there, by answering crossfit you can be telling me that you are training for Oly/power lift as much as you could be training for a ultra.

I am not sure anymore what crossfit training really is? Mainsite, training for games, training at your local "crossfit" affiliate (which might be implementing any kind of programming, training for strenght with some conditionning, CFFB in your basement, only metcons (since lots of people define metcons as crossfit workout).

I would personnaly answer that I do a power lifting program (531) mixed with a conditionning program based on circuit training. If they then mention crossfit, I would acknowledge but they would be no doubt/uncertainty around the specifics of my program and objectives.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Christopher Morris

Profile:

It depends on where you live. When I lived in rural Indiana I did a lot of explaining about CrossFit. Now that I live in Denver where there are affiliates every few miles, a lot more people know what it is when I say, "I do CrossFit."
Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

What Christopher says. I get one of the following responses:

- "Me too!" LOL

- "Oh. You're one of those." (Yes, I am. )

- "Yeah, that's dangerous." (At which point I usually point out my various surgery scars, wait for them to sympathize with me, and then say "No no, CrossFit helped me HEAL from them." Then I point out the real issues, and not the 'popularized' ones.)

- "Well, I do ______." (I usually respond with "Yeah, we do too.")

- "What is that?"
Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Aaron Montero

Profile:

I find that people have heard of CrossFit, but often think that is like P90X or Insanity. So, I have to be a bit more specific.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:

It's definitely getting more mainstream day by day. Most people I've mentioned it to have heard of it, but their understanding varies from person to person. It's kind of cool though because I get a chance to explain it to them. I'll get a lot of reactions but most seem positive.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

People ask me at the gym all the time if I CrossFit. I tell them no, but I used to, and I had a great experience with it.