CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Preston Sprimont

Profile:
Prowler vs sled

So with all of the black friday sales going on, it's time for me to do some Christmas shopping for myself. Muscledriver has free shipping and/or discounts on all of their sleds and prowlers, but I'm not sure which will get me the most bang for my buck.

The prowler is $250 with free shipping and has the obvious advantage of higher handles and versatility to both push and pull, and can be used on any surface. Also, I think you can load more weight on it.
The power sled is $85, no free shipping, has handles on the platform for pushing that are low and look like they may be awkwardly positioned, and I'm not sure it can be used on pavement. (anyone know?)
The freestyle sled is $130 with free shipping, no handles so only good for pulls and sprints, but can be used on pavement.
If I get one of the sleds I might have enough money leftover for some new Fivefingers and some resistance bands.

So my question: is the versatility of the prowler worth the extra cost? Do any of you folks who own or have access to these tools find yourself pushing more than you pull or vice versa? I live in a suburb, so unless I drive this down to the park I'd be using it on the street. Are prowlers worth their high prices (for the average garage gym athlete)?

Any more insights are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by Preston Sprimont; 11-25-2011 at 06:01 PM..
Old 11-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Travis Rask

Profile:
Re: Prowler vs sled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
So with all of the black friday sales going on, it's time for me to do some Christmas shopping for myself. Muscledriver has free shipping and/or discounts on all of their sleds and prowlers, but I'm not sure which will get me the most bang for my buck.

The prowler is $250 with free shipping and has the obvious advantage of higher handles and versatility to both push and pull, and can be used on any surface. Also, I think you can load more weight on it....
The power sled is $85, no free shipping, has handles on the platform for pushing that are low and look like they may be awkwardly positioned, and I'm not sure it can be used on pavement. (anyone know?)
The freestyle sled is $130 with free shipping, no handles so only good for pulls and sprints, but can be used on pavement.
If I get one of the sleds I might have enough money leftover for some new Fivefingers and some resistance bands.

So my question: is the versatility of the prowler worth the extra cost? Do any of you folks who own or have access to these tools find yourself pushing more than you pull or vice versa? I live in a suburb, so unless I drive this down to the park I'd be using it on the street. Are prowlers worth their high prices (for the average garage gym athlete)?

Any more insights are welcome. Thanks!
yes...
Old 11-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I'd prefer a prowler. Course my excursion makes a heck of an object to push too... No sprinting of course, but serious weight movement.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
I'd prefer a prowler. Course my excursion makes a heck of an object to push too... No sprinting of course, but serious weight movement.
An Excursion might be a bit out of my price range...
Old 11-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
yes...
Yes toooo... prowler?
Old 11-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
Travis Rask

Profile:

Yep...you can push and pull
Old 11-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Definitely get a Prowler. If I could only pick one conditioning tool, this would be probably be it. From the article linked below:

ďThe Prowler is simply the best tool ever invented for conditioning. Itís simple. Itís cheap. Itís completely concentric, leads to little increased fatigue, doesnít contribute to systemic inflammation, and yet itís still harder than anything else.Ē

http://www.wfac-gym.com/?p=951 WFS
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 11-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
James Orr

Profile:

I was in your position last spring, deciding between the two. I ultimately went with a sled and used the leftover money to buy a long rope for battle ropes. Wish I would've gotten the butcher from Rogue. If you get a pulling harness, you have your sled. If you want more, it's all right there. The prowler is a superior option.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:35 AM   #9
Travis Rask

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I was in your position last spring, deciding between the two. I ultimately went with a sled and used the leftover money to buy a long rope for battle ropes. Wish I would've gotten the butcher from Rogue. If you get a pulling harness, you have your sled. If you want more, it's all right there. The prowler is a superior option.
This. Get the Butcher.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
Adam Dunn

Profile:

How are you guys hooking up a harness to the Butcher? It looked like there wasn't an attachment point on the front from the pics I've seen.