CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Squat Compilation--looking for advice

Here is an squat compilation from late January up until today.

Any advice is welcomed.

Maybe depth has improved?

Do my knees go too far forward?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ImiYuAlFc (WFS)
Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Squat Compilation--looking for advice

Depth has improved but still could go a little deeper--a few more inches would put more tension in your hamstrings and really help you get a solid bounce out of the hole. Driving your knees out and doing some K-Star style mobility work would probably fix the depth issue. Other than that I didn't see a lot I would change.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Robert Callahan

Profile:

you are not getting your knees out to the sides enough on your decent. this is why your depth is a little suspect and your knees slide forward at the bottom.

work on stretching your groin and really spreading that ground apart as you squat.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Brian D Williams

Profile:

The only other thing I'd add is to work on your breathing. Take a deep breath, then squat and come up. Then exhale. It seems like you are doing this but I don't think you are getting nearly a deep enough breath to give the added support. I find that when I have clients get their breathing right, the last weight they did (and usually thought was difficult) suddenly seems a bit easier.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Thanks for the good advice, will add it in.

--More Depth
--Knees Out More--I'll try to push them out more
--Strong Breath--seems when I do this right the weight almost always feels easier

Knees going forward--how would one fix that? I've been trying to keep my butt back and not tip forward when I start to come up. Other ideas?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Unlock the hips at the top of the squat. This will prevent excessive forward knee travel.

Also, spend some time sitting in the bottom position of the squat(after your workouts and/or on offdays). You can see as the weight gets heavier you start to shorten the depth of the movement.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Your abs are loose, as is evident by your stomach moving in and out as you breathe heavily. tighten up your abs, and breath out not heavily, but with more of a "Tsss" sound. That way you do not breathe out everything, and that will help keep them tight on the breathe out.

Also, your butt looks a little loose. On the way up, spread the floor with your feet to turn on your glutes. You should feel more torque in your butt, allowing you to get up faster and more efficiently.

I am commenting only on the july videos. Good imporvement though.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Daniel--
I see my gut moving between reps but not during. I don't think sucking in air between reps is bad as long as I'm not loose once I start the rep.

Not sure how you can tell if I'm squeezing my butt or not. But, I'll try to put more kinesthetic sense there to see if I'm getting enough.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Daniel--
I see my gut moving between reps but not during. I don't think sucking in air between reps is bad as long as I'm not loose once I start the rep.

Not sure how you can tell if I'm squeezing my butt or not. But, I'll try to put more kinesthetic sense there to see if I'm getting enough.
KStarr talks about the benefits of tightening and then taking a breath versus taking a breath and then tightening. I find it helps a little more and prevents that gut sag.

As for the butt being tight or not, I'm not sure how Daniel can tell. Maybe he can jiggle your butt cheeks while you squat for you to make sure.

You might've already said this, but are you high-barring?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
KStarr talks about the benefits of tightening and then taking a breath versus taking a breath and then tightening. I find it helps a little more and prevents that gut sag.

As for the butt being tight or not, I'm not sure how Daniel can tell. Maybe he can jiggle your butt cheeks while you squat for you to make sure.

You might've already said this, but are you high-barring?
Matthew is right on the tightening and then breath. You are creating a wall of force by tighetening, and by breathign in, you are putting pressure against that wall, allowing you to push hard against it in order to drive out of the bottom, if that makes any sense.

As for the loose butt, I'm not sure how to explain what it is i'm spotting, its just that after watching my coach constantly tell his athletes when their butt is loose and when to "spread the floor", I have just kind of picked up on noticng when it looks loose. Its also more that from the side view (hard to tell completely), you drive straight up, and if you use your butt, there will be an outwards push from your feet (the spread the floor motion), thereby activating your glutes and allowing you to go up easier.

try it even with some air squats, just to test it out.