CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Trey Williams

Profile:
Prowler vs Sled

I searched for a thread like this and didn't find a whole lot.

Is there much of a difference in a prowler push and sled drag as a conditioning tool for developing power, or more specifically sprinting ability? It seems like both accomplish basically the same thing--a sprint with resistance. Does the fact that you push one and pull another make any difference?

Also, sleds are obviously much cheaper/easier to make, but there's just something really bad@ss about pushing a prowler...

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: Prowler vs Sled

A sled with straps can be "pushed" (dragged behind while facing forward) or "pulled" (dragged while facing backward). You can hook the straps to a yoke, a bar, handles, a belt, your hands, arms, torso, whatever.

I don't know exactly what's different about the "prowler" that can't be accomplished with a homemade sled.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

The prowler is better for conditioning/sprinting work. It can move fast or slow based on how you load it. If I try to load a sled for sprinting, it seems too light and once I add on some weight it slows down too much. I like sleds more for rehab work, warmups or slower heavy pulls. I prefer sleds for doing upper body work and lower body sled work for active recovery.

So if I want to beat myself into the ground, I'd use the Prowler. If I want to warm up/cool down or just have a relatively easier day I use the sled.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I'm guessing the difference you notice is metal skids on the prowler vs. wood/rubber/whatever skids on a lot of sleds. since metal is harder, the difference between force required to get it moving and force to keep it moving is smaller than other materials, which probably accounts for your preference for the prowler. I think with some creativity the do-it-yourselfer could have metal skids too... actually, that's got me thinking about how to do it on my own DIY sled.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

A tire sled costs $15-$20 to make fancy and about 20 minutes of your time. A prowler costs at least a few hundred to buy and maybe half to make but at least several hours of your time and that's if you're handy. If you have big bucks get whatever tickles you. If you wanna get work done and do it cheaply you can't beat a tire sled. There are easy ways to load one up progressively with some wood and pipe fittings.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

If your getting one as a standalone, go with the prowler. I rarely use my sled now that I have one!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I guess if I had a limited budget, I'd just get a prowler, but the prowler doesn't do the sled stuff as well as a sled. Silly as that sounds, the prowler tips and moves at an angle sometimes when doing sled like work on it, whereas a good sled justs moves foreward.

Before I got my sled, I used the prowler for sled work, and the sled is just smoother, easier to operate. In a perfect world, you'd want both, in a budget constrained world start with a prowler and maybe try some DIY sleds.

-Bob
Old 06-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

IMO nothing beats the explosive power you can develop by pushing a sled.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Prowler. Best conditioning workout ever and the assistance work when done with heavy squats is amazing.