CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Edwin Burlton

Profile:
Compound stretches?

All the strength exercises we do involve multiple body parts, but does anyone know any stretches that would stretch lots of muscles at the same time (as opposed to doing a quad stretch then a hamstring stretch etc)? It seems that it would save time and possibly be more "functional" (although I'm not really sure what that means when it comes to stretching...). All I've though of so far is the bridge, the splits and this sort of thing http://limbermen.com/Stephen_c/Legs_..._Reclining.jpg (which, believe it or not, I could just about do in my Kung Fu days). Any more ideas?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
S.S.

Profile:

Re: Compound stretches?

deep overhead squat (not much of a stretch if you already have the flexibility but for some people may be a good full body stretch)

side straddle

Also there's a good one that I can't exactly find an image of online, but let me try to explain. You take a power rack and put a bar (not an Olympic bar, a cross beam) at the height that you would do a deep front squat. Then you squat down and rack the bar and try to push your elbows up. It will stretch your back, hips, and shoulders. If you have a partner they can pull upward gently on your elbows until you get fatigued. Just make sure the bar is not on your windpipe as I've seen someone pass out from this.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Just about any yoga pose. Certainly any series of them.

Katherine
Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Edwin Burlton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Just about any yoga pose. Certainly any series of them.

Katherine
Such as?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

Here's a very effective yoga pose - shoulder stand. I'm not sure how flexible you are, but be careful regardless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96otjPtgND8

wfs

This guy's form isn't that great. Try to get your feet straight up so that your whole body (other than head) is perpendicular to the ground. This lady is much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibis_3usf8Q&NR=1

wfs

I always start up, then come down behind the head (the opposite of what the lady did). When you bring your feet down, do it slowly because you will feel stretching across your entire back, shoulders, hips, and hamstrings. Always stay comfortable - don't try and "push" or anything like that - just go to the point of tension and hold it there. It should be easy and effortless, relaxing.

Try doing sets of 20 seconds - 20 up, 20 in plow position, with feet behind head (eventually touching the ground).

When you are finished, be sure to lower yourself down SLOWLY. Lay flat for at least 30 seconds afterword and take deep breaths - you will feel tension coming out of your back.

One of my yoga teachers had us hold this position for 7 minutes at a time. You might consider finding somebody to help you (or better yet, take a yoga class - that will give you LOTS of really good ideas).

-sheldon
Old 06-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

Also - back bends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfr_b...0D5CC98E810F83

wfs

Yeah - that girl has a lot of really good ideas.

Again, be sure to take things slowly, don't try "pushing" anything until you are VERY comfortable with the positions, and spend time inbetween poses just resting flat on your back.

-sheldon