CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
James Orr

Profile:
Prowler vs. sled

I'm really interested in this stuff. I've been seeing prowlers pop up all over the place, but I don't see much mention of sled work. I've never had the chance to use either. Obviously one is push and the other's pull. Is there a big difference in the workout they provide? Why go with a prowler over a sled, and why go with a sled over a prowler?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Jared Aquilina

Profile:
Re: Prowler vs. sled

A Prowler is definitely better when you push it, nice for sprint training and even some medium distance light weight work. Also, you can push the prowler in teams of 2, 1 hand on each side.

The sled is better for reverse dragging, side dragging and if you can get a harness, for spring training as well. The sled is definitely more versatile when you want to bring it to a field, assuming you dont have a truck/SUV.

I have both and I always find different uses for each.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I got a Prowler first, thinking I could drag it just like a sled. Not very true. You can do some basic drags with it, but a regular sled is a lot easier to use for pulls besides basic drags. The sled is good for doing almost any upper body movement in a sled fashion such as:
chest press
row
tricep extensions
lat/front raises
curls
rear delt work
and of course pulls/drags from all type of angles.
The sled is also good for heavy work and rehab work. The Prowler is better for conditioning/intense work not so good for rehab/recovery in my opinion.

I still love my Prowler, but it is a different tool. I often use it as a sub for short runs when it is night time since my neighborhood isn't well lit (since I can keep the prowler in my yard). It's great for conditioing and leg strength.

If I could only get one, I'd get a sled. OR, I'd make some homemade sled and get a Prowler. Both are lots of fun.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
James Orr

Profile:

I appreciate the responses, guys. I did a lot of searching today. Just as I was clicking on the Butcher in my Rogue cart, I decided to go for a pull sled and battle rope instead.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I appreciate the responses, guys. I did a lot of searching today. Just as I was clicking on the Butcher in my Rogue cart, I decided to go for a pull sled and battle rope instead.
Great choice. The Prowler/Butcher is a totally different type of work and is GREAT, don't get me wrong, but IMHO there are many more things you can do with what you got.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
James Orr

Profile:

I think so, too. My wife, specifically, is having knee surgery in June. This is going to be really good for strengthening her leg (restricted range of motion right now) and rehabilitating it after. We battle rope at our affiliate as it is in place of rowing and running.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Jared Aquilina

Profile:

If you decide to go with the Prowler/Butcher, go with the Econo Prowler from Elitefts

Although the butcher has adjustments for the low handles, the prowler has a ring at the small end that you can attach a rope to for heavy pulling (ie with arms, static stance) and some backward dragging.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
Jared Aquilina

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I think so, too. My wife, specifically, is having knee surgery in June. This is going to be really good for strengthening her leg (restricted range of motion right now) and rehabilitating it after. We battle rope at our affiliate as it is in place of rowing and running.
Yes, definitely good for POST rehab. Joe Defranco, a strength coach in New Jersey, had sled dragging on his top five exercise for post rehab knee surgery.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Derek Bryson

Profile:

I push and pull my Rogue Butcher.

I tie a 1 1/2" rope to the single end and then put it over my shoulder like I am pulling hose...good simulation for me as a firefighter. Then I can turn around and pull it backwards holding the rope (this absolutely kills the quads) and you can also pull the butcher by hand...hand over hand...great for grip strength!