CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-28-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
Paul Szoldra

Profile:
Comments or Suggestions on my Garage Gym Equipment List

Hey all.. I'm going to putting together a garage gym later on this year and I'm looking for advice. Please take a look at what I've got in the Excel sheet and let me know if you think I need anything else, or don't need something on the list.

I appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks.

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: email Equipment List.xls (10.6 KB, 872 views)
Old 02-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Matt Payne

Profile:
Re: Comments or Suggestions on my Garage Gym Equipment List

Looks really good Paul. How about a Dynamax ball and maybe even a slam ball?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

What is your goal to do with the Garage gym? Mostly train by yourself? Or are you going to start training people out of it?

Here's some ideas though:

DB's - ditch them. May be get a pair of 35's & 55's (in case you'll train groups later - you can swing them too & it's good to have a nice pair of rubberized db's). Or just don't get any. When we first opened I picked up a db rack with 2x30, 2x40, 2x45, 2x55, 2x60, 2x65 a day before opening for $120. Then found 2x35s & 2x50's and a pair of metal 45 plates for $50.

KB's - unless you're do more with them than just swings - get only the 16 & 24. Or 24 & 32 kg. Db's will do the job just fine for the rest.

Upgrade the GHD to the Sorinex one. Couple hundred more but the thing is a tank. Used it at the FilFest at their expo - phenomenal (and they sold it there for $475 or $500 I believe).

And a 20 lbs ball would be good to have.

The rest will depend on who will be training at the garage gym.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

It'll probably be just me and the wife. Don't think I would be training people out of the garage (but might down the road). I think you are right about the Dumb bells. I think I might just get some 35s and 50s.

I don't know about the GHD. I know the Sorinex one is probably better but why is it really worth it if you do situps and back extensions on it every once in a while.. do you really need to spend 200 dollars more?

Definitely need to add a dynamax ball. Thanks for that.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

once you try it - it is worth it

Plus it's really nice for Glute Ham Raises etc.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Daniel Kunz

Profile:

"...but why is it really worth it if you do situps and back extensions on it every once in a while?"

It might not be worth it if you only use it every once in a while but I use mine just about every day at home and really miss it when I work out elsewhere.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Matt Holmer

Profile:

Maybe save a few bucks on the Medball?

http://www.theg2scart.com/20lb_GGS_W...p/g2s-20wb.htm [wfs]

I don't know anything about the quality, I just know the price looks good.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Looks good man. I personally wouldn't get the clock gone bad as an initial purchase item. It's very nice to have but with that $159 you could buy the med ball and something else. I've been using my Timex watch for a long time training myself and several clients... hasn't failed me yet!

You couldn't work out a better deal getting all your bumpers from Rogue?

And as previously stated, I'd ditch the DB's and get something else, rubber mats maybe?

Are you planning on buying this stuff new or checking CL for some of the items because I know you can get a better deal on the steel plates, if not a lot of other things...

Good luck!

Tim
Old 03-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #9
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

Definitely gonna go to Craigslist for rower, dumb bells possibly, and whatever else. I think Garage Gym's bumpers are pretty decent and a better price. I do like Rogue however, and I know they have great customer service.

Any recommendations?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
Jesse Gray

Profile:

As far as the timer goes, I would highly recommend just getting a gym boss interval timer. They can do all the same things as the clock gone bad but they only cost about $15 and they're portable/small (clip onto your belt) which is nice if you want to go out to a park or run on the track. They also vibrate and beep at the same time which is great for solo workouts where you can miss interval notifications.

I would personally pass on the GHD as well, the usuage you get out of them compared to the cost is pretty low. Back in September, the CFJ looked at all the mainsite WODs over the last 18 months and brokedown how often equipment was used and what the cost per use ended up being over that time. The GHD was only used 17 times in that 18 month period which worked out to about $25 per use. For that price it would be cheaper to pay a drop in fee at a local affiliate every time you wanted to use a GHD. That being said, I have to agree with Leonid that if you're going to spend that kind of money, it's well worth it to get one that does the job right. The York is fine for sit-ups and back extensions and they have a good split pad design but they are terrible for raises. They have this second pad below the split pad that just kills your quads. I would actually recommend any of the EFS made machines over the Sorinex. The EFS economy version is comparably priced and has the option of a split pad too.

EFS Econo GHD WFS

CFJ Smart Shopping For Your Home Gym WFS