CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:
Patellofemoral syndrome

Yesterday the doc gave me this diagnose after 6 months of knee pain. Bumped my knee (how ironic) against the squat rack. After that my knee felt sore. Right on the patella it became swolen and that stayed till this day. After a X-Ray and a MRI he said that the patella was torn/cracked like a window which caused miss tracking of the patella

I'm no expert but do you guys think this could cause the problems? And what should I do now. Does this mean no SQ and DL for me?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Patellofemoral syndrome

I wrote up some stuff for patellofemoral in sections 3 & 4 of this article:

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

If you have trouble finding it, I'll post a summary.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I wrote up some stuff for patellofemoral in sections 3 & 4 of this article:

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

If you have trouble finding it, I'll post a summary.
Great info steve! But I still got a few questions left. Does it hurt when I SQ or DL while having this problem? I mean the clicking sound (dunno how to give it the right name) makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Could this hurt the joint because if so I would stop right away.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Jeff-
I have PFS/chondromalacia... also had surgery to clean up a torn meniscus and remove a fatty deposit behind the patella last April.
The PFS/chondromalacia are still present.

For me, maintenance means improving my VMO strength.

I have front/back squatted heavy and DL heavy post surgery. Those lifts/motions aren't what bother me. It is the little stuff: prolonged sitting, walking on hard/uneven surfaces, running, jumping rope, etc., that cause me the most discomfort.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Michael Ingley

Profile:

what would it be called if the front of your knee hurts when you dip to do like a push press or something
Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Jeff-
I have PFS/chondromalacia... also had surgery to clean up a torn meniscus and remove a fatty deposit behind the patella last April.
The PFS/chondromalacia are still present.

For me, maintenance means improving my VMO strength.

I have front/back squatted heavy and DL heavy post surgery. Those lifts/motions aren't what bother me. It is the little stuff: prolonged sitting, walking on hard/uneven surfaces, running, jumping rope, etc., that cause me the most discomfort.
Thanks Sean. Its not that I cant SQ or DL. the pain isnt all that much its the cracking which sounds very loud. I'm just a bit scarred that I will do more harm than good by doing those exercises. My case is a bit different as well. I got mine PFS thru a trauma which makes it a bit different I think
Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I got mine from running way too many miles, after a long period of inactivity, at about 40# overweight, and with incredibly bad form.

For what it is worth, my knees pop all the time, especially on squats. In fact, most of my joints pop, so I don't worry about it (of course, I am almost 40 and have arthritis in a lot of places).

If it is just the typical pop -- just noise and the typical click in the knee -- I don't think there is too much to be concerned about. If the noise is accompanied with pain -- more pain than it normally gives you -- then it might be time to worry. I'm not a doctor, though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Best of luck.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I got mine from running way too many miles, after a long period of inactivity, at about 40# overweight, and with incredibly bad form.

For what it is worth, my knees pop all the time, especially on squats. In fact, most of my joints pop, so I don't worry about it (of course, I am almost 40 and have arthritis in a lot of places).

If it is just the typical pop -- just noise and the typical click in the knee -- I don't think there is too much to be concerned about. If the noise is accompanied with pain -- more pain than it normally gives you -- then it might be time to worry. I'm not a doctor, though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Best of luck.
Its normal for joints to pop especially for the knees. It is mainly from cartilage rubbing in the joint, sometimes it is from not having enough synovial fluid in the joint, sometimes it is from too much tension in the ligaments of the joint or excessive loading at the joint.

Its not the pain but I can feel the patella isnt tracking well. You can see it as well. I'm 24 now so with a whole life ahead my knees need to be as healty as they can be. Dont want to live with pain so thats why I'm a bit scarred the make it worse. Atm I love sporting way too much to get injured.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ingley View Post
what would it be called if the front of your knee hurts when you dip to do like a push press or something
This depends on what actually is the problem. Pain in the front can mean a lot of different things.

-----------------------------------

OP: OK so.

Generally clicking/popping with no pain is fine. Sometimes people's joints are just like that.

On the other hand, sometimes an increase in clicking or popping from about normal levels tends to indicate that there is some maltraction within the joint itself from impeding proper "slide and roll" action of the articulating cartilage. What this generally tends to mean especially with the shoulder, elbows, knees, and hips is that there tends to be imbalances.

Specifically with the knee it means most of the time for people nowadays that your quads are getting too strong relative to your hamstrings.

Now to summarize what you were supposed to have learned from my article you need to for patellofemoral:

1. Strengthen your glutes and hamstrings and VM/VMO

2. Stretch and SELF MASSASGE to get rid of any tender points in the quads, IT band, TFL, hamstrings, glutes, calves

3. take your fish oil. If you're having constant pain take the Robb Wolf recommended .5g/10 lbs body mass EPA+DHA (and make sure you get some vitamin K too to prevent the anti-coagulent effects).

4. Use ice if it helps.

5. Technique tends to be the issue in all patellofemoral and IT band patients I've seen including weak glutes. So that's where you want to focus.

Proper squat/DL technique driving weight through the heels (not the toes) so they don't track over them so far + spreading the knees so they don't cave in during the eccentric or concentric portions of the lift especially in squatting movements.

HOpe that helps.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Chris Puckett

Profile:

this is what I have, and it is the most annoying injury I have ever had. I can barely walk without my knee cracking, causing pain and limited range of motion. I was off for a month and I did a work out that included 150 double unders & heavy push presses for max reps. This happened three weeks ago.

I have taken theses last three weeks off, concentrated on nutrition and lost 6lbs so far, saw a preeminent crossfit PT, have been stretching and icing, with foam rolling, etc..

But its not going away. The month off was from starting a very time consuming job which also lead me to gain about 12 lbs in 1.5 months(I am a modern day mad man folks). I dont know if a month off would have caused this, but this problem has kept me completely off and is a major burden. I am going back to the PT for a program, because the streching, passive stretching etc has not been working on my own.