CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #1
Martin Schap

Profile:
Last night I read most of Pavel's book Power to the People. Basically it sounded pretty good to me, although not good enough to replace the current way I train. i was just wondering, has anybody experimented with different ways to incorporate pavel's methods into their current routines? I was thinking about adding his cycle to my warmup a few days a week. On a tangentially related note, I also started reading Relax into Stretch. I liked those ideas, and intend to start using them for an evening stretching session a few evenings a week.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #2
Martin Schap

Profile:
Also, I forgot to mention I will not be adding curls to my routine as Pavel seems to advocate. I will be sticking with the 2x5 deads and one arm press.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Two ways that people have incorporated PTP with their CF regimen are: 1) by adding it to the warmup, 2) having max effort lift days in lieu of the WOD.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Martin Schap

Profile:
Thanks Ben
I already do ME days alternating the emphasis on C&J and DL or Snatch and Squat. On other random days when I find myself in the weight room I do the bear complex or that evil cinco de mayo WOD or some other slightly nonconventional ME. I think that I will most likely add DL and One arm Presses to some of my warmups, but I just wondered if anyone else had had success with integrating it into existing programming.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #5
Catherine Imes

Profile:
The great thing about PTP is it's focus on strength as a skill. I use the principles of it to maintain pressing strength (KB Military Press), while I'm doing GS Training which consists of very high rep KB snatches and swings.

I will often do a short extra workout that consists of 2X5 sometimes 3X3 in the MP and some other exercise. It is a great way to at least maintain strength while doing other things because it is very minimalistic. The reps are low enough that it doesn't impact your other training (unless you want to add size with the Bear protocol)

The good thing about PTP is it's emphasis on generating tension to create strength which could be applied to any grind type exercise be it part of CF or another program. I'm sure it's covered in other text as well, I just think Pavel does a pretty good/concise job of covering it there.

CI