CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
What types of exercises do you think would best give a 1 - 10 score for the "Ten Physical Skills?"

I was trying to think of a single exercise, or a combination of two that could have a scoring system for each skill. The scoring would have to be scaled by bodyweight as much as possible. I would like to create a 'fun' little program that would graph a person's strengths and weaknesses (and it would look kind of like a 'stats' bar for a video game).

I have put some of my ideas for tests, but I would like to hear other people's ideas as well as a good scoring system. The thing doesn't have to be perfect, but it would be nice if it represented reality somewhat.

1. Cardio-vascular and cardio respiratory endurance (gas exchange) -rowing? wall ball?

2. Stamina (muscular endurance) - Fran?

3. Strength - %BW Max single Bench, Squat, DL?

4. Flexibility - some sort of measure for overhead squat depth, maybe even bridging and something else can be included.

5. Power - Max rep Snatch and C & J in % BW, maybe "Grace", or some throws for distance?

6. Speed - Helen, 400m sprints?

7. Coordination - ? (all I can think of is Martial Arts related stuff)

8. Accuracy - ? (same as above)

9. Agility - ? tough to define, maybe a series of obstacles repeated for time, (rolls, jumps for distance, rope climbing, etc).

10. Balance - Freestanding handstand time and old Navy "stand on one leg, ball of the foot" test?

It would be nice if this stuff could be tested in most people's home gyms. And if the scoring was pretty simple.

I know we have a bunch of lab rats on the board, give me some ideas!
Old 02-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Motion Macivor

Profile:
this is a really cool Idea you've got here Jeremy.
I would sugst that your speed test is really a speed endurance test. in most sports its the ability to get the first step or two in that makes the difference between splitting the D and getting checked. So maybe a 30 m sprint would be more relavant here, or you you could just add a couple fo 30 m sprints to what you've already got combined with some weighted average type system.
I think that coordination, accuracy and agility could be addressed with ladder type drills, octagon drils, obstacle course and maybe a snap decision type drill (you know like a plywood cutout pops up, and if it has your colour you bean it with water ballon or something. Okay that's a bit too elaborate). I think the slackline would be a good indicator of balance, time or distance traveled. Let me know what you think. BTW I was thinking that the ability to avoid injury is pretty important to fitness what do you think?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
For flexibility I would have how close together can you have your hands on a broomhandle before you can't keep your arms locked and touch your butt with the middle of the handle, the regular sit and reach, bridging, and maybe splits.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:42 AM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Some of these type tests are covered in CFJ#8(I think). Not at my computer, so I don't have it in from ot me right now. Five tests, each with a max of 20 points. C&J 15 reps(no resting on floor) is one, theres a run/thruster one, maybe Max bench and then max pullups?, Max DL and then max something, Tabata Squat followed by max muscle-ups in four minutes? I'm missing something, but you get the gist.

Check out the Journal for all the details.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
John Messano

Profile:
YES, Andy is exactly right. CFJ8 (Apr 03) has 5 tests under the title "How fit are you?"

It's a great issue for 5 bucks!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Ahh, one of the few issues I don't own. Gotta get it now. . .
Old 02-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

Cool idea!!
Heres a possible way to score it:

Done % of body wgt
score
5, 10, 15, 20, 25 30 35

50,75, 100, 125, 150, 175, 200...300
example body wgt 150 Can Dl 300 which equals 200%
200% would equal 35 points.
score 5, 10, 15,
ie pullups 10, 15, 20,...ect
mile run 10, 9.5 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5

in mins

Its hard to put her but. A score of 100 in the Ladies could be what an elite does then - 5-10% of each loss of 5 pts. Say Fran 100 points of 3 mins. 95 points at 3:20, 90 at 3:40 85 at 4:00 and work downward.
Weights should probably be the powerlifts max out at 300%-eventhough top lifters can do 400% in the squat and DL.
Running best time for mile 4:00, 2 mile 8:30 and 3 mile 12:30???
Any Input???
Old 02-11-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
Adam Grant

Profile:
For agility, look up something called 'dot drills'. I encountered it in the wrestling room. It requires good footwork, which is what agility is all about. Also, why not those rows of tires I see used in connection with football?

Skipping and speed bagging for coordination too.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I did dot drills in weight class, they were hard but fun. Definitely good for agility and coordnation.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Vertical jump or standing broad jump for leg power, and med ball oh toss for distance upper body power.