CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Neal Kay

Profile:
Startup costs?

Hey guys, I am looking into affiliation and planning on getting started in 6 months or so. I am starting to get my business plan together to present to possible investors and was wondering what some of you guys started with financially. Basically what was the amount of money you were able to save/raise and say that it was enough to start?

This number I am looking for is taking into account that you will be inside your own facility. I plan on probably starting outside at first for a few months before getting a space but I want info on every form possible way, outdoor, leasing gymnatics space, getting your own space. Any info at all will help.

Thanks

Neal
Old 03-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Neal Kay

Profile:
Re: Startup costs?

I am searching and finding a little info from past threads here and there which is helpful but would still like to hear from people on what there experience was. Thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Brian Wilson

Profile:
Re: Startup costs?

Neal,

I'm working on opening an affiliate as well. I've found the biggest problem for me (and from the threads I've seen this is shared by many) is finding space. I'm in Washington, DC, so space is either expensive and commercial, or cheap and in a real bad neighborhood.

I would setup a spreadsheet with some basic cost analysis and talk to a commercial Realtor. Once you find out what the prevailing rates are for space in your area, create some different rows and columns with different variables to include: location, space, $/sq ft, insurance, utilities, etc.

Even if it's a fairly large SWAG (Scientific Wild *** Guess), you at least can say "OK, if I can raise/save $X then I can operate for Y months."

That's pretty much my process right now.

Brian