CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Emily Mattes

Profile:
Vitamins - how do I manage costs?

I am taking all kinds of vitamins these days. A multivitamin, zinc, calcium-magnesium-copper-zinc, Hema-plex (a great iron supplement), B-100 vitamin complex, biotin, and cranberry supplements. Aside from the multivitamin which I'm only taking until I use the bottle up, these have been recommended by my doctor for various reasons. I'd like to start taking fish oil, but all these vitamins are seriously starting to have an effect on my wallet! I bought some fish oil from the vitamin counter, but I read on this boards I need pharmaceutical grade . . . I don't know if I can afford that.

So what has been your strategy for managing vitamin costs? Where do you get the best deals? For example, what is the best, cheapest source of good quality fish oil? Do you buy in bulk from somewhere?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Vitamins - how do I manage costs?

Work / Family / Safe

I buy their Creatine, Probotics, Digestive Enzymes., L glut, Folic
Wal Mart for Multi and Vit C, though I might buy from Vitacost next time.

http://www.vitacost.com/
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Emily If you're eating Paleo style, I don't think all those supplements are necessary at all.

You get plenty of all that you mentioned in pretty much all the veggies/fruits you can eat. Of course it needs to be varied veggies/fruits else you indeed need those kind of supplementation.

But if you eat kiwis one day, some apple the other one, then a melon, or some kind of berries, troughout the week, at the end your body will have what is needed.

Variety is the key.

Now fish oil is a totally different story IMO due to the hard to get o3 vs o6 ratio.

Just my 2cents,

Fred
Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Yeah, variance is a problem for me . . . I have trouble getting it all in and use the vitamins as a failsafe. The calcium-mag-whatever, b-vitamins, and cranberry supplements have been helping a lot with woman issues, and the iron supplement seems to be the only thing that keeps me from feeling tired and iron-deficient all the time.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Prioritize fish oil in terms of quantity and quality, find ways of reducing the other supplements based on need (or lack thereof).
Old 11-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Daniel Hoang

Profile:

i use both carlson's fish oil and biotest flameout. both very good in quality and quantity. although not as tasty as ice cream..