CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Gabriel Chapman

Profile:
8 weeks no oly lifts

So I'm into Crossfit for around 40 days now. I've dropped 10 pounds of fat. I feel great, and I'm totally addicted. Yay for me.

Until I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday. Actually I did it the first time about a month ago doing DL's. I had taken a week off, rested and felt better. It still hurt but not horribly. I was able to do all the WOD's and besides fighting off an acute case of Bronchitis (3 year old started school, thanks little one) I have been feeling pretty good. Sweating my butt off, and in general feeling awesome about working out again.

So now I went and saw my sports med doc, and he told me that I should really not do the Oly lifts for 8 full weeks to totally heal. I should do some rehab work and work more on my core and strengthening it, which I agree with. Still it sucks to have to blow that part of my workouts out of the game for such a long time.

There are lots of things I still can do, which I am thankful for, but I'm just bummed because for the first time in a decade, I'm really stoked about working out. I actually get anxious for the WOD's and I feel like its something that I want others to know about and do. Plus I've been excited about dropping the fat and feeling better about my strength.

For those of you who have injured yourselves, how did you cope mentally with the challenge of having to cut back? I understand fully that a full recovery is essential to maximum effort in the long run, but damn if its not tough to get over.

Crossfit is truly exercise crack.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: 8 weeks no oly lifts

Focus on the parts of you that are not injured.

At the moment and on and off throughout the past year I have been having some knee and ankle problems respectively. Main thing you can just do is grab some goals that work the parts of you that aren't injured. For example, you can work on muscle ups or other gymnastics strength elements like front lever, back lever, etc. Maybe go for 30 pullups in a row and 30 dips. There has to be at least something you always want to do that requires your arms.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

1. Figure out why you pulled muscle, i.e. poor form, tight muscles, too much weight.
2. Once inflam goes down, start practicing form with PVC, work on Burgener WU
3. Consider deep tissue massage
4. If your health coverage will pay, consider rehab, STENS, Heat, Ice, some good anti inflam meds
5. Review You Tube vids of O Lifts till you dream them, awake or asleep.
6. Practice the Push Split Jerk, Cleans, OHS, Snatch, all with PVC
7. Spend time with your dog, if you don't have one, adopt one.

8 weeks down time is B/S unless you broke a bone, are in cast, then see 1-7 above, cause you could still do, though might be one leg or one arm.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Steven Bourdage

Profile:

Ditto to everything Jay has said. While injured is the best time to perfect your form on the Oly lifts...so don't avoid them like your doc said, just use pvc/broomstick and really get those movements down.

I wouldn;t be too down. Crossfit offers so much that you can create many WOD's on your own that will have nothing to do with your lower back, and still have killer workouts.

Congrats on the 10lbs weight loss.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Possibly disregard the 8 weeks and just ease back into it as you see fit - let pain be your guide! I'm under a similar limitation from my doc re my knee and I"m about to go out and test the water after 6 weeks, not 8-9. I think a lot of its about them covering themselves and you know your body best.

Do the core stuff though - very important.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Injury time is a great time to go into focus mode for specific skills that don't involve the injured area. How good are your squats, for example? Front squats, back squats?