CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #71
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Final games thoughts

I think if they either took out the whole notion that the winner of the games is the "worlds fittest" or if people just took that a little less seriously it would solve a lot of problems.

The games are just that. A game. A sporting event. A competition like any other. What does winning the games prove? That you were the best that day and you won the CF games that year. Does it even really prove that you were the worlds best Cross Fitter? Arguably not. I mean in my mind Rich Froning should have been the first repeat winner this year. Does never having climbed a rope before really mean that Graham is fitter than Rich? Doubtful. However, does it matter? Not to me it doesn't because Graham was better that day.

This whole thing about not using real bikes because people might collide or fixing the swim because of what happened to Miko, and then we might not truly find the worlds fittest. COME ON!! If we want to sterilize things to this level so we can TRULY find the fittest then all the competitors should be in a lab getting their VO2 max taken, performing maxes, measuring power output, etc. But, it's a competition and a spectator sport, and is bound to have some level of luck involved.

If a football team went undefeated all the way to the Super Bowl and then in the big game their QB gets hurt and they lose, is the other team really the better team? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows, but you know what, they won that day. And that's all that matters. I wish there was a little more of this mindset in the CF games audience. It's okay to make things more spectator friendly. It's okay if there's an even that isn't broken down to it's most simplistic functional core. Because in the end all the winner is, is the best CrossFitter in the world on that day. And that's okay.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #72
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

I enjoyed the games and I liked the events this year. It would have been nice to have more events like last year with the sandbags. My one complaint at least as someone who has been to a few CF events was the music. It was this really crappy club music, it didn't have the same atmosphere as last year. Other than it was pretty good.

Some have said that there lack of form was poor for outsiders to watch. Eventually these guys are going to have to become considerably more efficient in there movements to be competitive. Especially once these young kids that have started CF from an early age get to that level. I would like to think that guys dropping to there knees on the O-lifts will pass.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #73
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I think if they either took out the whole notion that the winner of the games is the "worlds fittest" or if people just took that a little less seriously it would solve a lot of problems.

The games are just that. A game. A sporting event. A competition like any other. What does winning the games prove? That you were the best that day and you won the CF games that year. Does it even really prove that you were the worlds best Cross Fitter? Arguably not. I mean in my mind Rich Froning should have been the first repeat winner this year. Does never having climbed a rope before really mean that Graham is fitter than Rich? Doubtful. However, does it matter? Not to me it doesn't because Graham was better that day.

This whole thing about not using real bikes because people might collide or fixing the swim because of what happened to Miko, and then we might not truly find the worlds fittest. COME ON!! If we want to sterilize things to this level so we can TRULY find the fittest then all the competitors should be in a lab getting their VO2 max taken, performing maxes, measuring power output, etc. But, it's a competition and a spectator sport, and is bound to have some level of luck involved.

If a football team went undefeated all the way to the Super Bowl and then in the big game their QB gets hurt and they lose, is the other team really the better team? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows, but you know what, they won that day. And that's all that matters. I wish there was a little more of this mindset in the CF games audience. It's okay to make things more spectator friendly. It's okay if there's an even that isn't broken down to it's most simplistic functional core. Because in the end all the winner is, is the best CrossFitter in the world on that day. And that's okay.
agreed
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #74
Charles Applin

Profile:

Shame I was in Santa Monica this week-end and wasn't able to see any of this (online or in person). I was like "What! They're at the Santa Monica Pier NOW?! FML! " Granted, I was on a long delayed honeymoon so it's a fair trade.

VERY impressed with the format, methods of having sub-events individually ranked for overall event ranking, and the final chipper and team events. Hell, I loved the way they did this all the way from the Open.

Hopefully, all the hype, noise and knee-jerk reactions will be soundly put to bed if deserved. On the other hand, I hope all reasonable critiques will be appropriately looked at and accounted for in future games.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #75
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee Sattro View Post
I enjoyed the games and I liked the events this year. It would have been nice to have more events like last year with the sandbags. My one complaint at least as someone who has been to a few CF events was the music. It was this really crappy club music, it didn't have the same atmosphere as last year. Other than it was pretty good.

Some have said that there lack of form was poor for outsiders to watch. Eventually these guys are going to have to become considerably more efficient in there movements to be competitive. Especially once these young kids that have started CF from an early age get to that level. I would like to think that guys dropping to there knees on the O-lifts will pass.

Since the internet connection was CR*P and I did not get to see that much of the games (what you get for living in OZ i usppose) I saw the mens final event and heard Eminem, Linking Park and Fort Minor in just that event. Was the rest of the music pretty poor then? Because I love all of the above.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #76
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee Sattro View Post

The music was embarrassing. LMFAO in the women's final? I would have pulled a 2008 Spealler and rocked my own music every workout.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #77
Boris Lau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
The music was embarrassing. LMFAO in the women's final? I would have pulled a 2008 Spealler and rocked my own music every workout.
LMFAO's "Yes" is my pre-squat music. Don't diss. It's awesome!

Also agree with everyone about Rich and his faith. I'm not against Christians spreading their faith, but Rich just seems to dodge questions with "for the glory of God" which gets a little irritating after a while. In the recent interview with Sevan, you can see that Graham is Christian, but less upfront about his faith. He only started talking about it when asked.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #78
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

The swim event footage is up. Mikko looked fine coming out of the water. Not like someone who was stung by anything or had a concussion. Could just be he has no pain face though.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #79
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Totally agree with that. Maybe what it is for me is that I just think a softball is a dumb way to test it. That said, I'm not sure what I'd nominate as a replacement. Maybe a shot put or a javelin. Perhaps even the log toss that the Rogue and Again Faster athletes did in Tahoe, though I recognize that those are different sorts of throw than a baseball/softball throw.

- Mark
Log toss/ Shot put = strength
Softball= skill

This was the 'skills' element, not a strength test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
I thought it was cheap the way they wiped out the scores for the team competition going into the last event, and then it was kinda boring to watch considering only one girl out of the 18 there could do dips, which was in the first workout, which means CFNE was the clear winner 3 minutes in (though they killed most of the rest of the workouts too).
I actually like that format and I think they should do that for the individuals as well.

None of the major sports events take into account the 'playoffs' scores in the final event- it's all about how you perform in the finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
Barber destroying the sled push was awesome, and allt he more surprising since he was dead last, by a mile, in the 6 minute version.

Not surprising- he was obviously holding back on the 6min WOD to save up for the final one. He was smiling and winking at the crowd as he did his wallballs in the 6min version.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #80
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I am a HUGE Mikko fan and I too am quite sad about what happened. I had been viewing the videos of him training and he was training like mad! Like 3 metcons with 5 minutes rest in between. The guy has some incredible dedication.

If he had placed last but had actually done the events, no excuses would be made, he would have lost fair and square. But a headkick and busted eardrum during the first part of the first event??? I'm amazed he even finished such a long event with the pain he must have felt in his ear. I'm kinda sad as I was almost sure he'd be somewhere on the podium this year.

Now we'll never know how far he can throw a softball either