CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #21
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:
Re: Patellofemoral syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Roca View Post
I'm suffering from this also and it's quite annoying. I understand that I should be working on strengthening my hammies and glutes, but how should I go about doing this? Squats and deadlifts make for an abnormally loud crack in my left knee. Doing these with a wider stance prevents this but leaves my left knee with a bit of a pain afterwards.
I think you mean quad strength because the quadricep muscles play a role in patellar movement. Hamstrings, Hips, calfs and iliotibial band stretching could be a good addition.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #22
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy Griffin View Post
I've just started to experience symptoms very similar to what is being described here. I took 3 weeks off CF due to my job and about 2 weeks after I stopped the WOD's I had severe pain in my knee. I was driving and had my leg bent for a long period of time and when I went to extend it I felt a severe burning pain in the patellar region. Nothing for a few days then it did it again one night when I had been sleeping with my leg bent. I changed positions and immediately was wide awake with the same burning pain.

Now that I am back in the gym I have been experiencing painful popping pretty much every time I extend my knee. Most of the discomfort seems to be just above the patella. I tried some light OHS in my warm up the other day and almost didn't make it back up.

Sounds like I should be upping my fish oil, rolling, massaging, and possibly icing/stretching. Should I also look into seeing a PT?
How long do you experience pain now? Naturally knee pain should go away within 6 weeks. Imo you should see a PT to get at least a right diagnose.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #23
Steven Low

Profile:

Guys and gals,

Read post 13.

Well, I'd prefer if you read the article and evaluated yourself using sections 3&4 but yeah... we can all be hopeful can't we.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #24
Chris Puckett

Profile:

well, my little experiment of doing nothing absolutely did nothing. had been off other than walking related to my ad sales job(meetings around town, getting up to use the head, etc..) yesterday walking to lunch my knee 'slipped' again causing the pain and loss of mobility, this after 7 days of relatively doing nothing(last weekend litterally only watching football and hanging on my laptop). I have read where the groove on the backside of the patella can become damaged and cause the tracking to be off. Not sure this is me, but my knee just doesnt work. going to start light strengthening for two weeks and see where I end up. Have a good PT I am going to, guiding me with the strengthening. Gathered that no one has a sure for fix for this, its a complicated mysterious injury. I had some ART done on it last night and that doesn't seem to do anything. going to do the strengthening, see where I end up after a few weeks. Will go in to my affiliate and do this and throw in pushups, pullups(good time to do deadhangs..), sit ups, may swing a very light KB too. Its been three weeks since the injury.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #25
Antonio Roca

Profile:

Mr. Low,

I've read your posts and the link you provided - yet I'm still a little confused. I'm getting conflicting advice here. From what I understand you recommend strengthening the glutes and such. Elsewhere I've read strengthening my quads is part of the solution. Care to elucidate?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #26
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Mr. Low,

I've read your posts and the link you provided - yet I'm still a little confused. I'm getting conflicting advice here. From what I understand you recommend strengthening the glutes and such. Elsewhere I've read strengthening my quads is part of the solution. Care to elucidate?
I strongly doubt you read the link, especially section 2.

I expressly linked in section 2 a couple of studies from pubmed where gluteus medius/maximus strengthening IMPROVED outcomes in patellofemoral syndrome. Similarly with increases in hamstrings strength (especially in weightlifting activities to TAKE AWAY from quad dominance).

I also said in the post I mentioned above that you need to focus on strengthening the VM/VMO which is the medial portion of the quadriceps (vastus medialis / vastus medialis obliquus).

I have not contradicted any of the given advice in this thread rather I have expounded upon it to the degree based on the evidence I have investigated.

For example, wfs
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14669960
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10959926

Note that IT Band syndrome is very much like Patellofemoral with tightening of the structures on the lateral aspect of the knee.

Last edited by Steven Low; 01-16-2010 at 12:41 PM..
Old 01-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #27
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
well, my little experiment of doing nothing absolutely did nothing. had been off other than walking related to my ad sales job(meetings around town, getting up to use the head, etc..) yesterday walking to lunch my knee 'slipped' again causing the pain and loss of mobility, this after 7 days of relatively doing nothing(last weekend litterally only watching football and hanging on my laptop). I have read where the groove on the backside of the patella can become damaged and cause the tracking to be off. Not sure this is me, but my knee just doesnt work. going to start light strengthening for two weeks and see where I end up. Have a good PT I am going to, guiding me with the strengthening. Gathered that no one has a sure for fix for this, its a complicated mysterious injury. I had some ART done on it last night and that doesn't seem to do anything. going to do the strengthening, see where I end up after a few weeks. Will go in to my affiliate and do this and throw in pushups, pullups(good time to do deadhangs..), sit ups, may swing a very light KB too. Its been three weeks since the injury.
Well, I hope you listen to your PT if you're not going to listen to what I said in post 13.

Post "13" is the SURE fix. Just to make sure, I would do all of the soft tissue and strengthening work in the link I provided in section 4 however as it's likely you probably have some systemic imbalances as well.

But whatever. My patience is through.

Have fun trying to figure it out yourself. I hope your PT is good.

Last edited by Steven Low; 01-16-2010 at 12:47 PM..
Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
Steven Low

Profile:

Listen guys. I don't write stuff for absolutely no reason at all. When I tell someone to do something on this forum it's because I researched what works and what doesn't. I link to my stuff most of the time because it's researched proven things that I have seen work. I won't BS about what does and doesn't work.

Now, I know the Internet isn't exactly the best place to ask medical questions. Heck, I often advise going to your orthopedic doc and/or physical therapists to make sure your diagnosis is correct and/or if you have poor compliance with exercise.

But please if you're going to keep complaining on here why your injuries are hurting you, and you're not following any of the "non-professional" advice I dispense as well as many of the other actual qualified health professionals that post here I don't know what to tell you.

It's just like complaining about eating that chocolate bar or candy... and then reaching back for some more.

Foolish.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #29
Antonio Roca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I strongly doubt you read the link, especially section 2.

I expressly linked in section 2 a couple of studies from pubmed where gluteus medius/maximus strengthening IMPROVED outcomes in patellofemoral syndrome. Similarly with increases in hamstrings strength (especially in weightlifting activities to TAKE AWAY from quad dominance).

I also said in the post I mentioned above that you need to focus on strengthening the VM/VMO which is the medial portion of the quadriceps (vastus medialis / vastus medialis obliquus).

I have not contradicted any of the given advice in this thread rather I have expounded upon it to the degree based on the evidence I have investigated.

For example, wfs
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14669960
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10959926

Note that IT Band syndrome is very much like Patellofemoral with tightening of the structures on the lateral aspect of the knee.
Eek, I didn't mean to offend you in anyway! Sorry if I did. I was just expressing some confusion.

Although I did read your article, I'm in the process of reading over it again and I think my original confusion was just due to a misunderstanding on my own part.

Didn't mean to knock your vast and supreme knowledge...
Old 01-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #30
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Eek, I didn't mean to offend you in anyway! Sorry if I did. I was just expressing some confusion.

Although I did read your article, I'm in the process of reading over it again and I think my original confusion was just due to a misunderstanding on my own part.

Didn't mean to knock your vast and supreme knowledge...
I'm not really angry at you. Mostly Chris cause he keeps complaining about various stuff, yet does not follow any of the advice given.

I know what I wrote was a beast to read especially because it's really long, and it's somewhat "medicalized" with the terms so it's harder to understand. I tried to simplify as much as humanly possible, but it was impossible at some points.

If you want explanations I'll give them to you.